Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #1

New member with 986

My wife and I recently purchased a used 1998 Silver Boxster with 41k Kilometers or about 25k miles. My questions are about which updates to the engine are immediate and what others can be phased in at particular mileage. We are the third owner and in the last 5 years it has had oil changes and two roof actuator maintenances. I have read lots from Jack Rabey, Wayne at Pelican, LN Engineering and Pedro's Garage and have Wayne's book and the Bentley manual on order. As a licensed aircraft mechanic I feel most work is possible at home. I intend to start with the IMS bearing, RMS, spin on filter and magnetic drain plug. I read about air/oil seperators, timing chain components, water pumps and thermostats and would like some guidance on the timing to install and service or update these and any other suggested items.
Can anyone provide a drawing for tooling required for the RMS or advice.
The car is put away for the winter now which is an ideal time to prepare for new year.
Thanks
Ron Jackson Ontario Canada

986ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

I've been to your locale, isn't there a Chocolate factory there? Anyhow, congrats on the car, I have a 98 with 32K on it, virtually the same car. The 2.5 engines have the double row IMS which has been more robust from what I've read. As for the drain magnets, I bought the strongest discs I could find and glued them to a dollar store dog collar and wrapped them around the cartridge holder. I'm sure with your background you will not only be quite capable of your own repair but you will appreciate how nice it is to work on the Boxster, actually a decent car to service all things considered.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986ron
As a licensed aircraft mechanic I feel most work is possible at home.
I'd like to see a Boxster with every nut and bolt safety wired!
I bet your car is going to have the cleanest engine compartment and chassis!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #4

Welcome 986ron...the first things you should do are order the Bentley's manual and check Wayne's new 101 projects for Boxster at Pelican Parts.

All your current ideas on updates are spot on. I've updated my '02 3.2 with the billet filter adapter, mag drain plug and low temp t-stat; plan on doing the IMS update this spring (car has 19k miles) and new water pump, just as a precaution.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote