Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

IPD plenum still puts CEL on HELP!

So I installed an IPD plenum with a cold air intake. The engine was idling rough and spuddering. I took it all out and re installed it and no luck. CEL was on. I changed the MAF sensor and the light went off and engine ran smooth. Then all the sudden it came on again. Disconnected the battery to reset it and drove it 100 miles, no CEL. then I turn the car on the next day and immediately CEL comes on. Im really frustrated. The car runs fine but I got a CEL on. Dont have the codes for it but dont know what it could be. My cone filter is not oiled, its a injen high performance paper filter. The MAF is the OEM one but I got it new from ebay. any Idea what this could be? The good news is the sound is amazing and the car is faster, and it runs smooth with no rough idle or spuddering, but I cant stand the knowing I spent this much time and money and have a CEL. Any Ideas guys?

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #2

you will need to get the code/s
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
I think you've got a vacuum leak somewhere.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
I think you've got a vacuum leak somewhere.
maybe....but what is happening here ?he put x in removed it .put it back in ,cleaned this ,replaced that etc etc. whats going to happen is the car is going to be so far out of repair you will get stuck with it. an obi scan tool is needed even a code reader would be better that poke and hope. STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE AND PUT YOUR TOOLS ON THE GROUND
Old 11-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
maybe....but what is happening here ?he put x in removed it .put it back in ,cleaned this ,replaced that etc etc. whats going to happen is the car is going to be so far out of repair you will get stuck with it. an obi scan tool is needed even a code reader would be better that poke and hope. STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE AND PUT YOUR TOOLS ON THE GROUND
This is good advice. You might also examine the MAF sensor, I've heard stories of
used/defective units being sold on E-Bay all the time.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #6

Ok guys I finaly got the code. its P0102 mass air low input. This is a new MAF i put in could it be messed up or what. Thanks
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Old 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #7

one type of test is to unplug the wiring to the sensor and see if it idles better
Old 11-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #8

The car Idles fine. it runs excellent. The CEL is on and when I reset it or disconnect the battery it comes on immediately when I drive it.

When I first installed the IPD plenum and cold air intake with a non oiled filter, the light came on and the car ran bad. I changed the MAF and now the car runs good but the CEL comes on with P0102-Below lower limit code.

Should I get a new MAF or is this problem something else like wiring?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #9

what does the repair manual say for testing 0102 ?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #10

Repair manual says could be either...

– Open circuit
– Short circuit to ground
– Mass air flow sensor
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #11

I disconnected the plug to the MAF and turned the car on and the car ran fine. I plugged it in and it ran fine again. Basically no change with it plugged in or out.

what does open circuit or short circuit to ground mean? how do I know its grounded or open?

Could this be a problem with the Intake or filter?

thanks guys
Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #12

maybe go to a shop that has the proper test equiptment. the code does seem to point to a bad MAF sensor buti would do more testing and that requires pro books,meters,scan tools etc
Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #13

I just disconnected and reconnected the battery, unplugged and plugged the MAF. then drove the car 50 miles no CEL. then stopped for gas and turned it off and when I turned it on it came on immediately. It seems like when i Reset everything i can drive it immediately 50-80 miles but the next time I turn it off and on it comes on. What does this mean?

Im not sure if I should take it to a shop or dealer. Im worried that dealer will make me buy an OEM airbox ( since i broke mine taking it out) on top of another MAF.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Yep. Sounds like a completely fouled or disconnected MAF. Pull it out, give it a good look, clean it if needed, inspect the plug in connections to make sure it is seated properly. Also trace the wire harness to make sure it did not get damaged or pinched during your intake mods. This should be an easy fix if you take your time and follow a process of elimination.

FYI: disconnecting the battery will always turn off the CEL and erase the error codes but it doesn't erase the problem that is causing the codes.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #15

Some monitoring systems don't carry out tests until the car has gone through a number of cycles - starting, etc. - after you clear the codes and lights. Then after the right number of cycles, the system starts testing again and the CEL will pop back on if the problem wasn't fixed. It's not clear - at least to me - what these cycles actually are, but that's why it seems so arbitrary when the CEL comes back on. Good luck in finding the root cause of the problem.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #16

Garage
What source did you purchase the sensor from ?