Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

CEL on. Codes:P0410 & P1411

My 98 Boxster CEL light came on. I went to AutoZone and they checked the codes for me with there machine for free. 2 codes came up P0410 & P1411. Something about them being secondary air injection fault???

I went home and disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes. Reconnected and no CEL for the whole day of driving. The next day go to drive it and the CEL is back on. I head back to Autozone to have checked. This time it's only code: P0410.

Any suggestions on what could be the cause or if I should actually have a Porsche dealer check it out. Didn't know if it just may go away. I did just install both cats from Fabspeed. But that should not be the issue.

In advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

cbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #2

Go read this link

and it will help you understand the system and the steps you can take to diagnose the problem.

Link

Something you bumped or disconnected in the process of installing your cats?

First suspect is always something you touched last.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
and it will help you understand the system and the steps you can take to diagnose the problem.

Link

Something you bumped or disconnected in the process of installing your cats?

First suspect is always something you touched last.

I will take a look at the site. I did recently a few months back clean the mass air flow sensor. I do have a cold air intake installed.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

CEL's 0410 and 1411

Same problem with a 01 S. Followed the various remedies suggested on the blog. Clearing the CEL after each attempt. Solutions included replacing gas cap and cleaning the MAF. Then the light was back, same codes. With 89K+ miles and limited mechanical skills, it was off to the indy shop --- scan showed seized secondary air solenoid and bad combi valve. They were replaced and a cracked vacuum canister was detected. Replaced too. Total costs, just shy of $775. 3K miles later, still no CELs and the grins get better.
saturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #5

My research shows it is the change over valve and/or the cut off valve that need replaced. Common item to fail in these cars.

996-605-123-01-M244 Change-Over Valve for Air Injection, 993 Carrera 2/4 (1996-98), $23.50 Pelican parts
993-113-245-01-M100 Cut-Off Valve for Air Injection, 993 Carrera 2/4 (1996-98), Each , $104.75 Pelican parts

The only reason I have not changed mine is that the cut off valve is under the intake manifold and I haven't figured out how to do it. So I've been driving with the CEL on. It may be a winter project.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturk
Same problem with a 01 S. Followed the various remedies suggested on the blog. Clearing the CEL after each attempt. Solutions included replacing gas cap and cleaning the MAF. Then the light was back, same codes. With 89K+ miles and limited mechanical skills, it was off to the indy shop --- scan showed seized secondary air solenoid and bad combi valve. They were replaced and a cracked vacuum canister was detected. Replaced too. Total costs, just shy of $775. 3K miles later, still no CELs and the grins get better.

You wouldn't happen to have those part numbers? How much of it was labor? If I could look up parts, I then can find cheaper on line and have my local Porsche dealer parts guy match the prices. Did you car ride different and make some engine type noise behind your seat before this was fixed?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #7

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
it also could be just the vac lines to the combi valve are bad...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #8

So I have had it checked out and they told me that the air pump is bad and cost around $1,200 for this part. Does anyone know where to get one of these cheaper? Also, they said to change the air inject check valve and air pump cut off valve. Anyone have these parts that work and they want to sell or know where to find cheap???
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes
So I have had it checked out and they told me that the air pump is bad and cost around $1,200 for this part. Does anyone know where to get one of these cheaper? Also, they said to change the air inject check valve and air pump cut off valve. Anyone have these parts that work and they want to sell or know where to find cheap???

Pelicanparts.com
rockauto.com
Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #10

I had my mechanic replace the air pump and my cel problems went away. Light is off. Got the part used at a great price from. Waiting to see if I need the other parts.

http://www.oklahomaforeign.com/
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #11

P1411

My CEL came on yesterday. Does anyone know if it is ok to drive my Boxster with the CEL on, code p1411. I read on here that most people are not to concerned and continue to drive for months till fixing. Will this damage other parts? Is it going to effect gas millage? I have to drive to Nashville, Tn from Bowling Green, Ky today its about 3 hrs round trip. Thanks CP711
CP711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #12

It's fine to drive with the CEL (assuming it's not flashing).
The SAI (Secondary Air Injection) system faults can be "ignored" for some time without too much problems (fuel efficiency is a bit reduced).

I fought the same exact thing for about a year and a half.. cleaning MAF, checking vacuum leaks, the whole nine...

just last week, i got tired of the CEL coming on every time I "stepped on it" so I broke down and bought a new MAF before taking it to the show to get smoke tested again...

well.. 400 miles later, still no CEL and cold starts are MUCH better.

it's rare that the air pump itself dies, but I suppose it's possible. the two valves are suspect as well, but if you want an easy DIY and one thing to cross off the list (especially since you stated you had cleaned the MAF, this tells me it's probably dirty/not working), you might just try replacing the MAF sensor.

others will say, "it's not cheap and you're just throwing parts at it", to which I agree with to some extent, but it's nice to "cross it off the list as a possible suspect" and in my case, it solved the problem. 10mins and no more CEL's!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #13

Thank you for the reply, I made the trip everything seemed fine. I have to make the trip again today. CEL is still on. Thanks for the info it is a relief to here it isn't much of an issue.

CP711 is offline   Reply With Quote