Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Does anyone have those removable

hard tops for their Boxster? And if so, does it get used much? Any problems with it?

Thanks

Rob

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Yes

I didn't use it all last year. I installed it two weeks ago and will leave it on until March or April.

My car isn't a daily driver nor is the weather terrible in my area. I like it just because it is a nice temporary change. It does make the cabin more quiet and gives the car a different look. The only possible problem that I can come up with is it makes it more difficult to get to the top of the engine if needed.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Lots of people have the stock hardtops (I am not one). In my forum surfing I haven't come across many complaints.

There is an aftermarket product called Zeintop that converts the Boxster into a Cayman. The company is out of business, although I think others are trying to start it up again, and there are units for sale out there (take your chances). There were cost and fitment issues, although they all seemed to be solvable.

There are other hardtops out there that also fit the Boxster. Google.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
I didn't use it all last year. I installed it two weeks ago and will leave it on until March or April.

My car isn't a daily driver nor is the weather terrible in my area. I like it just because it is a nice temporary change. It does make the cabin more quiet and gives the car a different look. The only possible problem that I can come up with is it makes it more difficult to get to the top of the engine if needed.

That top looks sweet on your car. Clean and classy.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks 97 Boxster!
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #6

I have a factory hard top. Like ddb says it does make the cabin quieter. It's like having two cars. A cozy coupe for the winter and a traditional convertible for the summer.

The other advantages are that it offers better visibility than the plastic rear window soft top and it probably helps prolong the life of the soft top since it won't be exposed to the colder weather. I put mine on last week and I will keep it on until late March so I use it 5 months per year.

It is a two person job to take it on and off unless you are willing to risk scratching the paint. Otherwise, I don't see any disadvantage to it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 11-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #7

I haven't had my Boxster very long but I seem to already be in a pattern of hard top during the work week and soft top on the weekends. I guess part of that is we have had good weather on the weekends lately. If I am not going to have the top down I prefer to use the hard top to cut road noise. I might not care as much if i had a better stereo.

I took the hard top off by myself once and I wont do that again. I nearly dropped it and nearly threw out my back. It isn't heavy, just very awkward for one person. When my daughter wanted to ride to school with the top down one morning, she had no problem at all lifting her side. She's 10 and weighs around 60 pounds so that gives you an idea of how light it is.

I am planning to install a hoist in my garage soon to make changing the top even easier. That should also solve my problem of not having much space in my garage to store the hard top when it is off. (would love to hear from others that use a hoist on how they like it)
Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfncpa
I am planning to install a hoist in my garage soon to make changing the top even easier. That should also solve my problem of not having much space in my garage to store the hard top when it is off. (would love to hear from others that use a hoist on how they like it)
I have a hoist and it is handy. It keeps the top out of the way when I'm not using it and it makes installation easier. Here's a picture of mine.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/KevinH1990/IMG_1768.jpg

You can use the hoist to install the top yourself, but I find that it is still handy to have second person to help.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 11-19-2010 at 02:27 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #9

Garage
mine went on last week and will stay on till march or so
Attached Images

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #10

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i missed getting it on for the first snow yesterday, but as soon as it's dry it will go on until march or april...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #11

I put mine on last night. It will stay on thru March. Winter tires too!

The biggest problem with the hardtop is finding one in good condition locally that matches your car's paint color. You'll need to install the spin-locks on the car so that you can use it. You'll also need to find a suitable way to store it. Some people use a hoist, I have a wall hanger and cover.

The hardtop is a nice improvement, especially vs. the OEM softtop. I have upgraded my softtop to a GAHH top with glass and the acoustic material. Those improvements bring my softtop closer to the experience you get with the hardtop. I can see out of the back window on the hardtop, it has a defogger, it's more open and spacious in the cockpit, and it dramatically cuts road noise.

Overall if you can find a hardtop at a reasonable price it's a worthwhile improvement in the winter months.

/
Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #12

I think I bought the last new one in the country. Still in the orginal Porsche crate and wraping. And holly c### is was GT silver. Which is only found on the Anniversary ed. like mine. I thought for sure I was going to buy a used one and have it painted.

Spinlocks were easy to install once you find a good DIY link. My hardtop required adjustment since it was never on a car before. Again that was easy once I found a good DIY link.

My soft top has a glass window but the hardtop window is even larger so as mentioned visibility is better with the top on.

Well worth it!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #13

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i hope mine is still in good condition, it fell out of the hoist (my fault ) but didn't break the glass...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

Can someone with a properly fitted hardtop please post a close-up picture of the side with the window rolled up? I'm trying to figure out the "proper" tightness for the side window seal (the rear end of the side window), thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-r View Post
Can someone with a properly fitted hardtop please post a close-up picture of the side with the window rolled up? I'm trying to figure out the "proper" tightness for the side window seal (the rear end of the side window), thanks!
Check your email.

Here's a pic of mine that I already posted in evo-r's thread, but one must show off their Boxster often! It went on last weekend until April. I love it.

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Check your email.

Here's a pic of mine that I already posted in evo-r's thread, but one must show off their Boxster often! It went on last weekend until April. I love it.

Check my email?

Yes, I've seen that picture before, nice mono tone 986! However, can you please post a close up picture of the side seal with the window rolled up? Thx!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #17

Hardtop

SURFNCPA I sent you a PM
leknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #18

Sorry Joe B, got your pictures, the email went to my "Junk" folder, thanks again!

Last edited by evo-r; 10-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.
evo-r is offline   Reply With Quote