Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #1

Garage floor clean-up

My kid rebuilt the engine in a 1999 Chevy Metro (a 1.0L three cylinder torque monster! Goin' for mileage here!) in our garage over the summer, and things have gotten a little messy in there. What's the best product(s) for cleaning up oil, etc, off a concrete garage floor??

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #2

Garage
Pick up some oil dry (looks like kitty litter), spread it out on the floor and start walking on it and crush the granules into dusty powder. At the same time that powder is working its way into the cracks and crevices of the concrete. Let is stay there for a day or two, sweeping it around every couple of hours.

That's how I leaned to do it from rebuilding jet engines. When one would roll in we would crack all the lines loose, fuel (which had 10-10 oil in them), hydraulic, and oil. We couldn't catch all the fluids all the time but the above method worked for us.

P.S. If it's been there a long time you may never get the stains out unless you etch it with acid and put down a Poly Coat.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #3

I use a stiff bristle broom, Simple Green and the garden hose. After the oil dry is crushed than swept and thrown away. I can lay on the garage floor to work on my car and I only get dusty from the dirt that comes in on the car tires.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #4

Get some of this:

You can find it at most Ace Hardware stores, or on Amazon.com; works wonders on stains and spills. Pours out as a thick white liquid with a citrus scent, spread it over the stained area with a stiff bristled brush, and then let it dry overnight. Next morning, you will find a fine white powder that you can sweep or vacuum up, and the stain is gone...........
Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #5

hands down the best product on the market for cleaning up oil & grease is called Oil Eater. it is an enzyme that breaks down oil into a water soluble form. it's biodegradable & nonpoisonous.

spray it on, scrub a tad, let it sit, & rinse it off. nothing like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Oil-Eater-AOD1G35437-Cleaner-Degreaser/dp/B000EALHHG

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #6

leave it stained,it aint a man-cave without it
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
leave it stained,it aint a man-cave without it
This one's really tempting...it's definitely the easiest!

Thanks to all for the input. They all sound like viable ways to go. Now I just need to decide which way to go

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote