986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Aftermarket Head Unit and now NO am reception! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26875-aftermarket-head-unit-now-no-am-reception.html)

damelioj17 11-14-2010 12:59 PM

Aftermarket Head Unit and now NO am reception!

All:

HELP!

I recently installed a Kenwood KIV-700 which is a great single DIN receiver. I also have the add-on HD module (Kenwood KTC-HR300). Everything works great on the receiver exception that I now have NO am reception. FM reception works great and it picks up HD on FM no problem. I think I've done my due diligence here:

1. I have hooked up the power lead wire for the antenna from the HU to pin 5 of the black harness. This is a blue wire from my HU and I mated it to the Metra harness I'm using. The black plug in the car then plugs into the Metra.

2. I've double checked and from what I can tell, no grounding issues. Also, all other wiring works great (i.e. dimmer, memory on HU is fine after ignition is turned off, etc.)

3. AM reception was FINE with my old Becker CDR-220.

4. I have not tried the "AM antenna hack" listed on several boards because the AM reception worked fine with the stock Becker HU.

I'm at a loss here, guys. When I say there is zero AM reception, there is ZERO. Just a whining noise with a lot of static on every station. Again, from what I can tell, the amp antenna IS getting power.

This is a shame because it's such a great HU otherwise.

Any thoughts, tips, etc. are greatly appreciated!

JD

KevinH1990 11-14-2010 02:47 PM

It seems that the most likely problem is a defect in the Kenwood unit.

damelioj17 11-19-2010 10:08 AM

Sent unit back...will update

After more testing and logical deduction, this is the conclusion I came to as well. I just don't see how the old Becker CDR-220 AM reception is fine and nothing with the Kenwood. This was the case running the antenna through the HD Radio unit and directly plugged into the head unit itself.

The seller was really cool about doing an exchange. When I install the new one, I'll let everyone know how I fared.

JD

vipola 11-19-2010 10:19 AM

good luck with that, it's never cool to fight a ghost with the electrical parts.. :)

texomawaves 11-19-2010 10:45 AM

AM signal quality really sucks anyway (consolation), unless that's all you have and live way out in the country. I'd probably listen to AM if I drove an old Ford pickup and drank cheap beer :) I'm assuming most Boxster owners listen to FM. Personally I like to stream commercial free, static free music through my iPhone instead of annoying yappy DJs and commercials :)

All kidding aside (Sorry to poke fun at you)... Sounds like your Kenwood is bad. :cheers:

damelioj17 11-21-2010 07:19 AM

:barf:

Dave928 11-23-2010 07:07 PM

after a short study, it was discovered that AM radio is completely useless anyway, and so was shutdown by the FCC. move on...