Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Quick brag, some q's

Talking about my bought-without-inspection, seven-owner, police-confiscated-auctioned '99 base Tip.

This morning I didn't know how to find my engine.
Tonight I have a new engine air filter, a new cabin air filter, and I figured out how I'm going to tuck and glue the rear of the top back where it belongs.

The car seems to be responding happily to all I'm doing. Hell it seems to be getting better by virtue of being driven. It does have many, many electrical gremlins. Stereo turns off when you change cassette. Windows go down to 'top lowering' mode on their own.
Suggestions?

It idles fine for most of the day as you drive, then it will stall at every light for 5 lights, then be fine again. I think I hear something firing up when it happens, but it's subtle.
Ideas?
Just had the oil changed. Checked it after just 100 mi, looks/smells dirty.
Bad sign, or just crap coming out that'll go away after a few changes?

Suspension seems to work fine, but the struts are heavily rusted. Prob/ no prob?

What else should I be thinking about? 69K mi...Unk service history.

eltren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #2

Congratulations on the buy. I take my hat off to you for having the guts to buy a porsche the way you did and bringing it back to life. Not that it was completely dead. Good luck with the gremlins. Do a search on ignition switch or the module under the drivers seat.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #3

Seems to me

The difference between bravery and stupidity is very often purely random.
eltren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #4

Garage
yelojkt, were you at the gcck car show last Sept.? I talked to a guy there with a heavily modded new beetle that was wanting a boxster. I'm originally from ICT myself!

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

I would open your oil filter and pull the sump for inspection...could be bits in there you'd want to be aware of. One of the worse evils that happen to these cars, is an extended oil change while running Mobil 1 0W40...hint, do a search.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltren
Talking about my bought-without-inspection, seven-owner, police-confiscated-auctioned '99 base Tip.

Tonight I have a new engine air filter, a new cabin air filter, and I figured out how I'm going to tuck and glue the rear of the top back where it belongs.

The car seems to be responding happily to all I'm doing. Hell it seems to be getting better by virtue of being driven. It does have many, many electrical gremlins. Stereo turns off when you change cassette. Windows go down to 'top lowering' mode on their own.
Suggestions?

It idles fine for most of the day as you drive, then it will stall at every light for 5 lights, then be fine again. I think I hear something firing up when it happens, but it's subtle.
Ideas?

Suspension seems to work fine, but the struts are heavily rusted. Prob/ no prob?

I hope you got a really good price!
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #7

Congrats - let the fun begin.

I did the same - bought my first Boxster for $1 from the sheriff at auction.
Under a tarp and 8 inches of snow - all I knew for sure was there was four rims and 4 bald tires. Was a couple of inches of ice on the floor - ECM was frozen solid. Maybe a cat sleeping in there too. But long story short - the car came right back to life and responded well to a little care and elbow grease.

Best advice is to take your time and follow the forum for tips.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
yelojkt, were you at the gcck car show last Sept.? I talked to a guy there with a heavily modded new beetle that was wanting a boxster. I'm originally from ICT myself!

sean
Yeah that's me.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #9

Garage
yelojkt, I'm the guy with the blue S that had the clanking noise in the front end. Got it fixed.

good luck
sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltren

Suggestions?

Ideas?

Curious, how much did a car in this condition sell for? Seems that she really "got around".

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote