986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Quick brag, some q's (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/26731-quick-brag-some-qs.html)

eltren 11-01-2010 05:00 PM

Quick brag, some q's

Talking about my bought-without-inspection, seven-owner, police-confiscated-auctioned '99 base Tip.

This morning I didn't know how to find my engine.
Tonight I have a new engine air filter, a new cabin air filter, and I figured out how I'm going to tuck and glue the rear of the top back where it belongs.

The car seems to be responding happily to all I'm doing. Hell it seems to be getting better by virtue of being driven. It does have many, many electrical gremlins. Stereo turns off when you change cassette. Windows go down to 'top lowering' mode on their own.
Suggestions?

It idles fine for most of the day as you drive, then it will stall at every light for 5 lights, then be fine again. I think I hear something firing up when it happens, but it's subtle.
Ideas?
Just had the oil changed. Checked it after just 100 mi, looks/smells dirty.
Bad sign, or just crap coming out that'll go away after a few changes?

Suspension seems to work fine, but the struts are heavily rusted. Prob/ no prob?

What else should I be thinking about? 69K mi...Unk service history.

yelojkt 11-02-2010 05:09 AM

Congratulations on the buy. I take my hat off to you for having the guts to buy a porsche the way you did and bringing it back to life. Not that it was completely dead. Good luck with the gremlins. Do a search on ignition switch or the module under the drivers seat.

eltren 11-02-2010 05:24 AM

Seems to me

The difference between bravery and stupidity is very often purely random.

SeanZ4 11-02-2010 07:24 AM

yelojkt, were you at the gcck car show last Sept.? I talked to a guy there with a heavily modded new beetle that was wanting a boxster. I'm originally from ICT myself!

sean

jmatta 11-02-2010 02:55 PM

I would open your oil filter and pull the sump for inspection...could be bits in there you'd want to be aware of. One of the worse evils that happen to these cars, is an extended oil change while running Mobil 1 0W40...hint, do a search.

Highlow 11-02-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltren
Talking about my bought-without-inspection, seven-owner, police-confiscated-auctioned '99 base Tip.

Tonight I have a new engine air filter, a new cabin air filter, and I figured out how I'm going to tuck and glue the rear of the top back where it belongs.

The car seems to be responding happily to all I'm doing. Hell it seems to be getting better by virtue of being driven. It does have many, many electrical gremlins. Stereo turns off when you change cassette. Windows go down to 'top lowering' mode on their own.
Suggestions?

It idles fine for most of the day as you drive, then it will stall at every light for 5 lights, then be fine again. I think I hear something firing up when it happens, but it's subtle.
Ideas?

Suspension seems to work fine, but the struts are heavily rusted. Prob/ no prob?

I hope you got a really good price!

urban_legend 11-02-2010 06:30 PM

Congrats - let the fun begin.

I did the same - bought my first Boxster for $1 from the sheriff at auction.
Under a tarp and 8 inches of snow - all I knew for sure was there was four rims and 4 bald tires. Was a couple of inches of ice on the floor - ECM was frozen solid. Maybe a cat sleeping in there too. But long story short - the car came right back to life and responded well to a little care and elbow grease.

Best advice is to take your time and follow the forum for tips.

yelojkt 11-02-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanZ4
yelojkt, were you at the gcck car show last Sept.? I talked to a guy there with a heavily modded new beetle that was wanting a boxster. I'm originally from ICT myself!

sean

Yeah that's me.

SeanZ4 11-03-2010 05:29 AM

yelojkt, I'm the guy with the blue S that had the clanking noise in the front end. Got it fixed.

good luck
sean

JTP 11-03-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltren

Suggestions?

Ideas?

Curious, how much did a car in this condition sell for? Seems that she really "got around".