Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #1

Too much customization?

I think some cars get customized so much that it doesn't even look like a Porsche anymore. Plus, when you go over the top, it makes your car look like a hooptie.

Does anyone else agree?

DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

I definitely think there is a tipping point between "just enough" and "too much" customization. Yet, no rule of thumb for which is which. It has to be seen to be decided.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #3

Cars are like women, we all have our tastes.

Poorly done mods cheapen a car. With high end cars, the newer models are usually tastefully done, but I notice that as a car ages and becomes more affordable to everyone, that the bargain hunters break out the JC Whitney catalog and go crazy.

When I had the Viper, very little modding was done even to the early cars. But even the old ones arent cheap.

But in the vette world, watch out. There are too many tasteless cars out there. Especially C4 vettes.
stab1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #4

IMO even the factory goes too far at times, I don't want my $70,000 car to have Spider written on it's door in huge letters and orange krazy wheels like goodyear sold for kids bikes in my youth. Boxster Spider looks stupid written on the trunk too. There were so many 944's with the added plastic fill taillight panel with "Porsche" plastered on it that when I first started looking I thought it was from the factory. Every POS beater in my town has a poorly mounted, one pipe for all people, stainless muffler that on throttle sounds like those banned soccer noisemakers.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

i get a chuckle when some folks get rain sensing wipers on a car that wont ever see foul weather and/or dynamic lighting for a car not driven at night. lets not forget the race mats,fire ext etc for people who only see a track under their xmass tree...BUT its their money and its not my place to say it to their face
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Garage
I agree that there's a delicate balance between tasteful modifications, especially cosmetic ones, and "gilding the lilly". I concur with EightsandAces, in so far as Porsche needing a crash course in "style" when they start putting decals on their vehicles that say "spyder". Very garish indeed.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-28-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #7

I do believe he meant "Spyder", not the araneae.

Modifications are all in the eye of the beholder...the simpler, the better, in my book.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #8

To each his own, but IMO on a Porsche, less is more. Years back when shopping I would not even consider cars that had an aero package.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I do believe he meant "Spyder", not the araneae.

Modifications are all in the eye of the beholder...the simpler, the better, in my book.

Now, "spinne" would be cool.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #10

550 S would have been nice for the Boxster Spyder as for the spelling my bad the Fiat I believe is Spider...

PS Large door decal = disco car unless said car is on a race track

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-28-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #11

Boxster is naturally beautiful... need very little makeup to look good. It doesn't need to whore it out like the million Hondas, G35s and BMWs.

Less is more. Sort of like Carla Bruni.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Boxster is naturally beautiful... need very little makeup to look good. It doesn't need to whore it out like the million Hondas, G35s and BMWs.

Less is more. Sort of like Carla Bruni.

maybe so .....but.....ya never forget yer first pig
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
maybe so .....but.....ya never forget yer first pig

Lol....In my day it was referred to as "Jumping on a grenade".
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #14

It's all a matter of perspective. I'll tell you this if I had a time machine I wouldn't be talking on a celly at a Chaplin film opening, I'd be looking over the cast offs who didn't meet my young eye standards, then I'd buy some GE stock..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-28-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #15

Garage
Here's an example of someone who knows the meaning of being understated and classy when it comes to everything .
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter
I think some cars get customized so much that it doesn't even look like a Porsche anymore. Plus, when you go over the top, it makes your car look like a hooptie.

Does anyone else agree?

I think it can be overdone, but as long as the owner is happy with it, nothing else matters.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Every POS beater in my town has a poorly mounted, one pipe for all people, stainless muffler that on throttle sounds like those banned soccer noisemakers.
If I ever see a Fartcan on the back of a Boxster I will personally tear it off with my own hands and leave a note on the car telling them to go buy a Honda or a Saturn.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #18

well if you look at the Boxster concept car that made the big splash in 1993 and the "less is more" version that first came off the assembly line.....there was definitely a big difference.

to many, this would be considered "ricer" like:

Attached Images

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
well if you look at the Boxster concept car that made the big splash in 1993 and the "less is more" version that first came off the assembly line.....there was definitely a big difference.

to many, this would be considered "ricer" like:

I have to disagree there, perfectlap. You're right in that, to some, that may be considered "ricey", but that'd have to be a very small number of people. The term is usually reserved for when someone tacks on a bunch of unnecessary crap (like a shopping cart wing on any front wheel drive car) or does something outrageous like paint their Boxster pearlescent pink with lime green powdercoated wheels with a chrome lip. To me the concept is a very natural-looking, clean design, and quite fitting of the minimalist/purist "less is more" belief. The flair was penned in from the start, it didn't have to be bolted on, and it looked good just like that. The chromey bits and black wheels don't necessarily make the car ricey, and Porsche could have gone very crazy with this car, but didn't.

I do agree on the appearance of the new Spyder, though, no need to advertise with an Eat at Joe's vinyl splattered on the sides.

Now the 918 Spyder, on the other hand, while again not ricey, can be considered a bit much in some ways.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #20

You mean these door graphics? I don't really have a problem with these.
Ferry Porsche had a one-off custom built mint green 2.7 that had graphics on the doors too. Good enough for him good enough for me.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote