Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 41
I ran over something

Driving down the freeway today I ran over what I thought was a plastic bag. I couldn't dodge it due to traffic. I didn't hear much of a noise going over it so i didn't think much of it. About 5 miles down the road I started hearing a noise like something dragging at the front of the car. When I pulled over to check it out I saw the plastic plating (no idea what the real name is) had fallen down and much of it was burned away from dragging on the road.

By comparing the undamaged side to the damaged side (driver's side), I think there is one piece that fits underneath the car attached to the front bumper that is gone. The piece that was still attached and dragging seemed to go from just before the front tire all the way over the tire along the wheel well. I couldn't tell where the piece stopped but it seemed to keep going past the tire towards the back of the car.

If you have read this far it is obvious I am no mechanic, so here comes the part where I ask questions:

I was able to somewhat secure the part that was dragging so I could drive home. As I try to get it fixed, is there likely to be any harm done by continuing to drive the car? I assume as long as the road is dry it would be fine, but what if it rains?

Can someone tell me what the real names of these parts are? Hopefully I have described them well enough. Can I find these parts somewhere besides a Porsche dealership?

Lastly, if I had the parts would they be easy to install by someone with minimal tools and mechanical aptitude? I'd like to avoid the dealership this time if possible. I don't mind buying a few tools if necessary.
Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 191
When I owned an '03 Boxster S, I ran over a big piece of tire on the road and it destroyed a couple of the panels underneath the car. One was called a Floorplate Cover (996-504-561-00) cost was $57.49. The other panel was called the Steering Shaft Cover (986-504-119-00) and the cost was $143.98. I was able to replace these myself without too much trouble. You need to get the car on a lift or possibly rhino ramps to see what was destroyed and then make the repair. You will not be able to find these parts locally except from one of the dealers.

Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 290
I've been driving around for months with a big piece of the front underbody panel missing with no issues at all. I had to cut it off because it was dragging as well. Those parts are cheap, not inexpensive, but cheaply made..
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page