Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
JTP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 628
Boxster vs. deer

I was drving to Buffalo for the weekend and while in the left lane and deer runs across from left side of the road, a Jetta in the right lane hits it, deer gets bounced back into my lane and I end up running over it.

No major apparent damage visible, lower edge of bumper cover is shattered, lower edge of fender liner broken, part of trunk floor dented in. No fluid leaks, radiator fans turn on and works fine. Checked the underside and no visible leaks or other damage but the under carriage covers all look dented and warped. The underside is covered in deer guts, meat chunks and blood. Everyone in the other car is alright, but totaled their car.
When I hit the deer it felt like I went airborne, and from the scrapes on the bumper it looks, my car landed on the nose. Dropped off at a collision place and we will see if there are any underlying damage. I just got an alignment done too. Fortunately none of my sheetmetal looks damaged, just covered in blood and deer juice.

Now what to do about getting the smell of dead deer out of my clothes, hair, and nostrils.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The City
Posts: 1,084
Garage
at least you didnt hit it first. i would trash the clothes if its that covered in blood. as far as your hands are concerned FAST ORANGE is great. good thing no one was hurt. the undercarrage is fairly protected i would say the weakest point is around the radiators. maybe you could point that out the the shop. there may be some radiator area damage you cannot see. I have heard that even hitting a curb while parking can break some of the plastic bits up there.



did you keep any of the dear meat? delicious!
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Bobiam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Unionville, CT
Posts: 442
Glad that you're OK and that damage was not severe.

I drive mine on a lot of country roads at night in CT and am always panicy about deer. The height of a deer relative to the hood of a Boxster puts it right through the windshield. Don't want to think about the result. Considering what will happen to occupants, the condition of the car may not matter.
__________________
2001 Boxster, GT3 console delete, lower stress bar, RoW M030 suspension package, painted bumperettes.
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
JTP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 628
I was able to button up the shattered bumper enough to drive it away. It looks like the car drove through a raw hamburger. Bloody bits on the rear wheels too. It was drivable but I didn't want to chance driving it back to Maryland like that. Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
I hit one in a VW based replicar a couple of weeks back.. Did 18K worth of damage..
She weighed 120 pounds..
The State trooper let me keep her, went home and skinned her out.. ended up with a good shoulder, ham and both tenderloins.. I'll be frying up some tenderloin for supper tonight!
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,199
Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Now what to do about getting the smell of dead deer out of my clothes, hair, and nostrils.
Run over a skunk?
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I hit one in a VW based replicar a couple of weeks back.. Did 18K worth of damage..
She weighed 120 pounds..
The State trooper let me keep her, went home and skinned her out.. ended up with a good shoulder, ham and both tenderloins.. I'll be frying up some tenderloin for supper tonight!

Laughing my arse right off...............Jake, you never fail to amaze.........
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Had some tenderloin tonight.. Damn it was good!
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
BLahhhhh.... Sorry not my cup of tea. Funny as hell to see that though.
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
I came upon this situation the other day. Fortunately, I was able to swerve around it.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I came upon this situation the other day. Fortunately, I was able to swerve around it.
Lucky for them...talk about unhappy endings!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I was drving to Buffalo for the weekend and while in the left lane and deer runs across from left side of the road, a Jetta in the right lane hits it, deer gets bounced back into my lane and I end up running over it.

No major apparent damage visible, lower edge of bumper cover is shattered, lower edge of fender liner broken, part of trunk floor dented in. No fluid leaks, radiator fans turn on and works fine. Checked the underside and no visible leaks or other damage but the under carriage covers all look dented and warped. The underside is covered in deer guts, meat chunks and blood. Everyone in the other car is alright, but totaled their car.
When I hit the deer it felt like I went airborne, and from the scrapes on the bumper it looks, my car landed on the nose. Dropped off at a collision place and we will see if there are any underlying damage. I just got an alignment done too. Fortunately none of my sheetmetal looks damaged, just covered in blood and deer juice.

Now what to do about getting the smell of dead deer out of my clothes, hair, and nostrils.
Scary. Did you see it coming before it happened?
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
JTP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Run over a skunk?
I can only wish it was a skunk. I can handle skunk smell but this mixture of blood and stomach juice is really foul. When the first car hit the deer, the animal burst and I drove right into the spray. Then when I drove over it the carcass was mutilated even more, leaving a trail of intestines behind the car.
From first seeing the deer to hitting it I had enough time to say "sh". "it" came out as I was bouncing over the thing.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
I feel for ya. When I was in college in Ohio, I was running down an empty country road at 3am when a pack of deer ran across my path while I was going 50mph. Saw deer flying left and right from my car after impact. Did thousands of dollars damage to my car, but just was glad I wasn't hurt. To this day, when I see a deer on the side of the road, I slow down. They do massive damage to cars.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 20
I did the same thing to my one month old 3 series a few years back. The bill was about $1500 to replace all the panels underneath, clean out the deer chunks, and align. Fortunately no injuries (other than the deer) or real damage to the vehicle.
__________________
2008 Guards Red / Black
jmc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 225
I had a buddy who was riding a motorcycle and a car in another lane hit a deer like what you described, flipped the deer up and it landed on him taking him off the back of his bike. He lived long enough to talk to his family and tell them he was going to be ok and have a family prayer. 2 hours after he passed due to internal head bleeding..

As for the smell.... My family owns a butcher shop so I'm usually out there helping. Guess I've learned to work past it. You could spray some bleach up under the car with a spray bottle and then hose it off. Might help. Not sure if bleach can hurt anything or not
__________________
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...IMAG0137-1.jpg
00 S Triple Black- Smoked lights, Tinted windows, Stainless exhaust, IwireP ipod cable, desnorkled, painted bumperettes
Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I can only wish it was a skunk. I can handle skunk smell but this mixture of blood and stomach juice is really foul. When the first car hit the deer, the animal burst and I drove right into the spray. Then when I drove over it the carcass was mutilated even more, leaving a trail of intestines behind the car.
From first seeing the deer to hitting it I had enough time to say "sh". "it" came out as I was bouncing over the thing.
You may have missed my twisted humor. I meant in order to get the deer smell out you should run over a skunk.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page