Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #41

Not only are the codes inconsistent but one would think a main crankshaft flaw would be evident whenever the motor was running. I know you meant nothing by it but I still have to LOL at "you guys diagnosed it wrong". As my dad a mechanic by profession used to say, "it's tough to fix cars over the phone, the tools don't reach that far"....

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #42

Apparently I misunderstood. He only drained the oil and looked at the filter. Found bearing material in the filter. Still don't know if there was any kind of association between the codes and the failure.

Yeah. It's tough to diagnose over the inet, but it doesn't stop people from offering opinions. That they were wrong isn't a big deal to me, and I didn't mean it that way. Sorry if it came across that way.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 11-02-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #43

Ah - ha.....
Metal in the oil filter, cylinders missfiring - this sounds familiar, and I'll bet there's metal particles in your sump too.
Mike, ask your mechanic how he knows its main bearing metal and not big end bearing metal - they are both white metal plain bearings. He may or may not have put a magnet on the debris, but if the metal is ferrous, it could well be your IMS bearing assembly breaking up.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #44

Mike you came across fine I was just goofing. I'm sorry you have to deal with the disappointment of having an expensive repair. I hope the mechanic is wrong, perhaps it's something that will require less money to repair, I hope so, good luck.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Ah - ha.....
Metal in the oil filter, cylinders missfiring - this sounds familiar, and I'll bet there's metal particles in your sump too.
Mike, ask your mechanic how he knows its main bearing metal and not big end bearing metal - they are both white metal plain bearings. He may or may not have put a magnet on the debris, but if the metal is ferrous, it could well be your IMS bearing assembly breaking up.
Interesting. Tell me more. If I have him put a magnet to the metal bits and they are magnetic, or not, what does that mean? Assume it was the IMS bearing breaking up. Would that mean the engine would be salvageable just by changing the IMS bearing? I though when those went it was catastrophic. If it is the IMS bearing, would there be a chance that the rest of the engine is damaged too?\

If I could just replace the IMS bearing, I could bear those expenses.

Then again, if the IMS was to the point where it was effecting the timing, isn't it likely that there was valve to piston contact?

Would the tensioner also be a potential culprit? Could the metal bits be from the tensioner?

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 11-03-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #46

Mike, as I understand it, IF the IMS bearing collapes and allows the central bolt to "float", then yes it will allow the timing chain(s) to jump the sprocket - what I'm not sure of if jumping one tooth allows piston / valve contact. There are many people on here that can answer that. But its the metal throughout the engine that will be the killer.

If your mechanic says there is metal particles in the filter, its not good whether its non-magnetic white metal from the big end / main bearings or magnetic steel from the IMS ball bearing. But if its only a few specs, there may be still hope......

Perhaps its time for you to have an Porsche expert inspection on this (not just a mechanic) as, after all, you are looking at the difference between parting out your car at a great loss or the possibility of resurrecting the engine.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 11-03-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Perhaps its time for you to have an Porsche expert inspection on this (not just a mechanic) as, after all, you are looking at the difference between parting out your car at a great loss or the possibility of resurrecting the engine.
No matter what happens, it will be at great loss. If I sell the chassis, I'll be looking at a loss of about $7-9k. If I replace the engine with a used one, it will be $4-7k out of pocket. If I rebuild it, it will likely cost me $4-5k. Those are the cheap options on a car that's worth $10-12k. Since most of what's in my pockets these days is lint, I'm leaning towards the first option, but haven't decided for sure yet.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #48

They found copper in the metal bits in the oil filter, which, according to the shop, indicates main bearing.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #49

Just curious how this ended. Did you decide to have the motor rebuilt? Sorry that your trip to the track ended the way it did but I hope that does not turn you off of the boxster.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
Just curious how this ended. Did you decide to have the motor rebuilt? Sorry that your trip to the track ended the way it did but I hope that does not turn you off of the boxster.
I'm going to have to buy a used motor and put it in myself. It looks like I will be going through OK Foreign or LA Dismantlers; haven't decided yet.

Oh yes. It has very much turned me off of the Boxster and Porsches in general. If I ever get another, it will most likely be an older one ('70s or '80s). However, there are so many awesome cars out there, that I doubt I'll ever own another Porsche. I can't believe that there are so many design flaws in these cars (and the 911s) that still haven't been addressed. For a car maker that is so racing focused to have cars that are not designed to drive on the track is a joke. I definitely would have been better off buying a used Corvette or Camaro rather than the Boxster. If I had, it wouldn't have suffered this kind of failure, or likely any other.