Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #21

Garage
When you pay someone to fix a problem and they don't it becomes there problem I would be frustrated just like you. They should have cleaned your drains for sure with that amount of money you spent there.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #22

Alexis

No disrespect intended, but suing Porsche is probably not going to accomplish anything other than to make you MORE frustrated. The reality is, for all anyone knows, you left the top down and it rained. If it ever gets to court I'm sure Porsche will bring that up...

Your insurance company may pay for the repair - that depends on what kind of coverage you have. Might also depend on whether you filed a claim the first time this happened.

But, the first thing you need to know is HOW the water is getting into your car. Are the drains clogged? This can happen if you leave your car outside - leaves and other debris can clog them. Owning a convertible brings with it certain responsibilities - among those are ensuring that you maintain (clean out) the drains, regularly check all convertible top seals, etc. Did you have any work done on the doors? If the door water seals weren't properly re-installed that could cause water to get into the car.

You found these forums and that's a wonderful thing. There is a lot of great information here. Just use the search function and search for information on "water", "immobilizer", "leaks", etc. You'll find that there are much less expensive (and better) ways to get your car repaired that taking it to the dealer. There are at least 2 places that can repair your immobilizer. There's also a waterproof case that can be installed to protect the immobilizer from future water damage.

I'm really sorry that you are going through this, but suing Porsche is probably going to be like chasing windmills. If you go that route, I wish you luck.

Bill

Last edited by BirdDog; 03-28-2018 at 07:01 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
Who's askin'?

Oh y'all are killin' me! Haha!
Seriously, you're going to sue Porsche? Hehe. I'd suggest that if this idea belongs to your attorney, you may want to just write him a check now and walk away. It'll be much less aggravating for you, and net the same result. And then he can go back to chasing ambulances.

More seriously: How old is your car? How many miles? The saying goes: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. You have no one to blame for this but yourself, frankly.

Expensive lesson, yet you still seem to have not learned it. Hehe.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #24

after the rains

I left my Boxster parked in my driveway while I was traveling for work …you know where this story is going. Correct: I returned to find the cabin full of water.
I've cleaned up cabin, cleared the drains, and dried out the Alarm module.

Once back together the car functions correctly …with one exception: the doors won’t lock.

- the door lock button on the dash: the LED is on but the button does nothing
- pressing the key remote: I can hear mechanical noise inside the driver’s door but the door is remains unlocked
- locking the car with the key, manually: the drivers door will lock but the passenger door is not locked

Using the Durametric I have no Fault Codes.

Any ideas of what my problem might be?

my car: 2003 Boxster, manual, <60K miles
Here’s the status of each Alarm I32 sensor (with the driver’s door open)

Last edited by swoolverton; 04-03-2018 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typos!
swoolverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoolverton View Post
Once back together the car functions correctly …with one exception: the doors won’t lock.

- the door lock button on the dash: the LED is on but the button does nothing
- pressing the key remote: I can hear mechanical noise inside the driver’s door but the door is remains unlocked
- locking the car with the key, manually: the drivers door will lock but the passenger door is not locked

Any ideas what my problem might be?
Damaged immobilizer. Codes not required.

Try cleaning the connector pins first (male and female ends).

Last edited by particlewave; 04-03-2018 at 10:27 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #26
wet Box

Yup, highly likely a damaged immobilizer box. These evil devices should have been located on the rear compartment wall, where the engine control unit is. The immobilizer is encoded to match the ECU and the car's keys. There is an excellent repair service in Florida that can help you a great deal but you'll need to send the immobilizer, the ECU, and the keys to them.They make an aftermarket plastic box to replace the factory one, to improve the water resistance. I have fitted it to all three of my Boxsters after having one immobilizer box ruined.
Although much is made about water entry through the convertible top bay--clogged drain tubes-- that is not the only source of water entry.It can also enter through the front firewall cable entry grommets if the front compartment drain tubes are clogged, and through the doors if the door drain slots are clogged or the vapor barrier sheet is loose or damaged, as often happens during window regulator repairs.
Drying the carpet in the car is nigh upon impossible: the foam rubber holds water very well. The only solution I have found is to remove the carpet from the car, clean it front and back, wet-vacuum as much water as you can, and put the carpet away foam-side down, for a number of days in a well-ventilated area. Expect it to take a week in the summer, three weeks in the winter.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Pardon me if already this inquiry has been posed, but can't the immobilizer be moved to the trunk? Can an extension with the appropriate harnesses be fabricated, and just secure the unit in the trunk? Has already this been attempted?

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #28
You would think so, as many unique 'niche' products as we have in the world of Porsche culture, you would think... but I have never seen such a product. It would seem extremely simple to make, just a cable bundle with multipin connectors at the ends and a couple of grommets along the length. Hmm, my basement business for my retirement, if I ever get to retire.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Damaged immobilizer. Codes not required.

Try cleaning the connector pins first (male and female ends).
Thanks for the tip ParticleWave. The contacts (male pins and female receivers) were very corroded.
swoolverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by old911doc View Post
You would think so, as many unique 'niche' products as we have in the world of Porsche culture, you would think... but I have never seen such a product. It would seem extremely simple to make, just a cable bundle with multipin connectors at the ends and a couple of grommets along the length. Hmm, my basement business for my retirement, if I ever get to retire.
So if that "extension cord", if you will, were fabricated... is that something you would consider purchasing? If it were a simple relocation effort, with a couple of holes to drill... how much would you pay for that good night's sleep?

Thank you.