Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #1

Audio Upgrade

Anyone out there know of any high end audio installers/shops in the Chicago area that I can feel comfortable with for a upgrade? Currently have a 2001 S with the upgraded radio option. Want more separation (door and rear speakers) and clarity w/Ipod functionality.

StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

I can't help you with a suggestion for a shop but I can tell you that buying a new head unit that allows ipod integration is something I would have paid $2k for, it was nice that it only cost me $200-300.

I love listening to music with the top down.

I have encountered two problems.

1) The new Ipod software (the new update) is awful, it slows the ipod down and sometimes wont let me play music through the car. Every time this happens I have to reset the ipod. Don't upgrade to the new software. If you already did though, make sure you buy a head unit that was designed to work with the new software.

2) I got some door rattles from the vibration from the speakers. I had to open the doors up and tighten some stuff/stick some towels in the rattling spots.

Enjoy! Let us know what speakers you went with.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

Sound upgrade

I have in addition to my boxster a Ferrari. It has a Reus sound system. It is expensive but the ultimate! You can check it out online at reus sound. It is not a boom box but a sophisticated high end system custom designed for each model of vehicle.
bretskyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow
I can't help you with a suggestion for a shop but I can tell you that buying a new head unit that allows ipod integration is something I would have paid $2k for, it was nice that it only cost me $200-300.

I love listening to music with the top down.

I have encountered two problems.

1) The new Ipod software (the new update) is awful, it slows the ipod down and sometimes wont let me play music through the car. Every time this happens I have to reset the ipod. Don't upgrade to the new software. If you already did though, make sure you buy a head unit that was designed to work with the new software.

2) I got some door rattles from the vibration from the speakers. I had to open the doors up and tighten some stuff/stick some towels in the rattling spots.

Enjoy! Let us know what speakers you went with.

After upgrading my stereo I had nasty door rattles. I bought a dynamat x-treme kit for both doors online for $54 and installed it. It makes a huge difference and only took about 30 minutes to install. The stereo shop that installed my amp, head unit and component speakers wanted $90 for the dynamat kit and another $90 per door to install it. It is an upgrade that is really simple to do and makes a huge improvement.