Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #21

My girlfriend says find a rich girlfriend and your money problems will be over.

I say if you find one, let me know if she has a sister!

Seriously, there is a lots of good advice in this thread. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #22

Awh man sorry to hear this... especially now i've been looking forward to your Subaru Conversion.
BlitzSRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #23

Well things just got worse..... Got fired from my teaching job over some hearsay **************** that I didn't do. I was working at a shady charter school with an at will contract. Probably cant do anything about it, but I'm going to have to try and lawyer up and see what happens.

When it rains, it pours
Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #24

my advice to you. Do not sit home waiting. Take whatever job you find now, whether it bartending (good recession job, people always budget for beer), waiting tables or working retail. Time is money. A career is great but ultimatley its about your piggy bank. If you have no growth in the piggy bank you'll be forced into worse and worse decisions. Once you've got some cash under your belt this might also be a good time to think about a career change. A friend was laid off and is studying to be a physician's assistant, a position that offers killer money with job offers in every bordering state. Another switched to physical therapy, another into pharmaceutical sales. I guess healthcare has job security.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-04-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #25

Jake:

PM Sent.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #26

Unhappy

I'm sorry to hear about your job and possibly having to sell your Boxster, believe me when I say that I know how you feel. I lost my job over 2 moths ago and I will finally start working again next week, but my pay will be more than 35% less. After thinking about it for the past 2 months I traded my Boxster today on something more affordable based on what my salary will be. I will have to work my way back up and save money so that I can buy another one again in the future because I really enjoyed the car. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #27

Bummer.

Forget the Lawyer. Move on.

/
Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #28

At will means you only have recourse if there was discrimination or whistle blower type reasons for firing you. Don't waste your time with an attorney. A good attorney will quickly tell you to move on absent those 2 items I mentioned. A bad attorney will string you along with false hopes and you'll be worse for it.

These things always work out for the best. You don't want to work for an employer with no sense of loyalty anyway. You are in a fortunate position to be able to get things on the right track. I got laid off and within 3 months found a job, and 3 months after that found a job that paid twice as much. Now instead of cruising the Toyota forums I'm cruising the Porsche forums.

No offense but it didn't sound like you were in a good position to begin with, probably good to have a catalyst to get some positive changes going. Things always work out for those that work through the tough times. There is nothing wrong with working at Target or Wal Mart to get through it. Tutor on the side, do whatever it takes. Teach abroad for a year.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to riv38672 Send a message via MSN to riv38672
My advice is as follows:

Put your car up for sale. Live with your mom for a couple of months until you find a Job. Once your car sells, lets say you get 15K out of the sale. That will leave you with approximately 5K to work with. (As has already been stated). At this point, a mode of transportation is all that is necessary, it really doesn't matter what it looks like. 5k will buy several different four cylinder, highly reliable, vehicles. Basically, buy something that can get you to and from work, once you find a job. Since you will have paid cash for the vehicle, you no longer have to deal with the $80+ full coverage insurance, or the 300 dollar car payment.

Once you have a job, find a roommate, and move in with him/her. Focus on paying off your student loans, and getting another job at another school.

It will hurt to lose the Boxster, but at least you will be able to get another one in the future.

I'm 26, and I've been paying back student loans as well. I was lucky enough to have a college friend to live with. Good luck sir.

riv38672 is offline   Reply With Quote