Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

clutch issues need advice

hi i have a 2000 base and one day while driving i went to shift into 2nd @ 2500 rpm or there about and my pedal stuck to the floor i limped the car home and read around here that my master/slave could be gone, well i bought the master,slave, line and fitting and fitted then to the car bled the line with my motive and the car could drive again now from a standstill the car would shudder while taking off and this only happend during take off again while drivind went to shift into 2nd at @k and no more clutch again tried to bleed and feel came back but if i statr the car i cant get it into gear, with the car off gear change is fluid also i can hear the lever in the bell housing creaking when pressing the clutch but it wont go into gear while on i would appreaciate any help i can get or suggestions, would bleeding the line with the car on solve this?

dirtyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #2

I'm not sure I understood correctly, however, if bleeding the lines again restored some clutch function, then it could just be residual air in the system. How many miles on the clutch? If you re-bleed it and keep working the excess air out and there is no improvement, you may have a secondary clutch issue. If you replaced both the master and slave cylinder there could be a good amount of air in the line.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #3

im hoping it just needs to bleed
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

however the second time that i bleed it i got nothing
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #5

just bleed it again and no bubbles coming out just fluid and still no clutch
Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

DG doesn't sound like the hydraulics are working at all. I don't have enough experience with the boxster system to help, hopefully someone who has replaced their clutch will chime in.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

im guessing at this point it might be more like the bearings might be bad i can hear the creaking of the slave either moving or trying to move the lever but for what ever reason the clutch is not engaging
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyg
im guessing at this point it might be more like the bearings might be bad i can hear the creaking of the slave either moving or trying to move the lever but for what ever reason the clutch is not engaging

Assuming all the hydraulic parts were assembled correctly It's definitely time to dig further. If you are going to replace the to bearing, IMO, you should replace the clutch, rear main seal upgrade, inspect the ims and flywheel. A big job I never got around to trying. Because of a serious spine disease recently discovered, I'll never be able to twist wrenches again. I can only drive my Box 14 miles before my feet go numb.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #9

Garage
I had the same loud creaking noise coming from my clutch a year or so ago. I followed Steve Tinker's posts and removed the slave and greased the tip of the little plunger thing. It was an absolute nightmare to get to and remove and replace. I leaked hydro fluid all over the slave area. I bled it off a couple of times and finally got everything back to normal. The clutch was completely quiet and smooth two or three times then creeeeeeeak... it started up with the noise again. I've been driving it a year or so with the noise. It shifts fine but the creaking drives me nuts. Someone told me that it may be a dried out guide tube?? My car is 10 years old and only has 39k on it so????

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
I had the same loud creaking noise coming from my clutch a year or so ago. I followed Steve Tinker's posts and removed the slave and greased the tip of the little plunger thing. It was an absolute nightmare to get to and remove and replace. I leaked hydro fluid all over the slave area. I bled it off a couple of times and finally got everything back to normal. The clutch was completely quiet and smooth two or three times then creeeeeeeak... it started up with the noise again. I've been driving it a year or so with the noise. It shifts fine but the creaking drives me nuts. Someone told me that it may be a dried out guide tube?? My car is 10 years old and only has 39k on it so????

sean

Could be the pedal assembly too, mine squeaks but you cant hear it when it's running.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #11

Garage
I wish it was. I went down that route first for the easy fix. It's definitely coming from the clutch itself. It's getting a little stiff too. I was at a German Car Show this past weekend and had the opportunity to sit in four other Boxsters. Some older, some newer etc. They all had smoother operating clutches than mine. It makes a real "springy" sounding creak when the pedal is about 2/3 down to the floor.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #12

I can tell you that it sounds to me like you have an issue with your throw out bearing. I recently changed my own clutch on my 98. It was a big job, but not undoable if you have some experience. Its a common issue with the 986 and 997. They always say to change those bearing out when you change the clutch, which for your average moron happens every 50,000 miles cuz they dont know how to drive.

You could also check and make sure the big spring in for you clutch pedal is operating correctly. Its up under the dash. You have to remove some air ducts and get really uncomfortable on you back with your feet hangin out the door to see it.

Also, if you have a small leak in the hydraulic system youll get 2 or 3 pushes with it working, but that means your suckin up air when you release it. So after a couple times youll have air in the system again. Itll also explain why you dont get bubbles when you bleed.

Hope my lil bit of head scratchin advice helps. Keep us posted.
elmorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Because of a serious spine disease recently discovered, I'll never be able to twist wrenches again. I can only drive my Box 14 miles before my feet go numb.
All the clutch stuff aside, that's crap news to get. I hope you get good treatment or if that's not really a possibility, that things go as well as they can for you mate.
willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by willd
All the clutch stuff aside, that's crap news to get. I hope you get good treatment or if that's not really a possibility, that things go as well as they can for you mate.

Thanks dude! I drive it with both feet numb and what feels like a knife in my back, I used to think those seats were perfect too! If my destiny is to not shift then I'll have to save up for a PDK.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hussy
The TPMS will continue to warn the driver of low tire
pressure as long as the condition exists, and will not turn
off until the tire pressure is at or above the recommended
cold placard pressure. Once the low tire pressure warning
(Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light) illuminates, you
must increase the tire pressure to the recommended cold
placard pressure in order for the Tire PressureMonitoring
Telltale Light to turn off. The system will automatically
update and the Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light
will turn off once the system receives the updated tire
pressures. The vehicle may need to be driven for up to
20 minutes above 15 mph (25 km/h) in order for the
TPMS to receive this information.

Hi Mike,

I own a 4 year old female Boxer, and her name is Mollie.

Can someone get rid of this spammer?
Can you also make it harder for them to join the forum and post crap like this in the middle of all these threads?

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote