Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #1

More Ignition Switch Problems

A couple of weeks ago, I reported a problem with my ignition switch that most responders felt the problem would be the plastic VW/Audi part. I finally got around to pulling the switch this morning (I'm getting better at it only took a few minutes this time). The problem I found is that the key does not turn anything. The male end piece (that operates the plastic piece) is stuck in the run position and key turns freely from off to on.

So I'm ordering the replacement assembly, ie the metal part that mounts to the steering column. Has anyone on the forum done this job themselves? If so, anything to watch out for? I assume if you reuse you original key tumbler there is no recoding required?

Thanks in advance for any input.

E9project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #2

Did you leave the key in the ignition before you did this? Could you get the key out of the ignition after your last switch went bad?

The key needs to be out of the ignition prior to replacing the switch.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

reply about key

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Did you leave the key in the ignition before you did this? Could you get the key out of the ignition after your last switch went bad?

The key needs to be out of the ignition prior to replacing the switch.
The key goes in and out without any problem. The instructions I've seen say to turn the key to the on position to remove the tumbler. That the position rest of the assembly is stuck, so I think the tumbler will remove like Bentley says.

How do you like the ROW MO30 package? I do little Autocrossing with mine and have thought about this upgrade. My car would also look better if it were a little lower. Does this ROW lower the car too?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #4

That is wierd. I took my key out prior to doing my switch changing. You might want to try this before you get the mechanical part and try to replace this.

I love the RoW! It makes a great car even better. Lane changes are very quick now and cornering is enhanced quite a bit.

It does lower the car, but I think it looks awesome.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #5

pictures

Your car does look great lowered. My 02 S is the same color combo with the same 18" turbo style wheels, but it not lowered down like that.

Where did you get your ROW kit?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

Design911 in the UK. See link below. Took no time at all to get the kit. Good prices too.

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt65_1385_-cma81-cmo82-ct289/Porsche/Boxster/Boxster-S-986-32L-1999-02/Porsche-Kits/