Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Forum noob intro.

Hello all,

New to this fine forum, and new to ownership (been about a month since I bought a Seal Grey/Black '03 Boxster).

Registered a few days ago, been looking around and learning quite a bit (thanks!) and I didn't see an intros thread (even searched!), so hope you don't mind if I make one here. Mods may move if I have simply been myopic.

Not a noob to forums or cars, in fact, an old hatter at shows and meets (been to Pebble, Cavallino, Quail, NAIAS, Daytona Spring Break, etc.) but likely to have some questions as this ride is a bit different than my last - '03 WRX Stage 4 that I owned from new, and did much of the work on, including the complete VF34 swap. I will be doing light mods to the Box, but not like before... though I've already ordered some little bits of kit here and there to personalize it as I always do.

On that note, always been a Porsche fan, and my screen name 'Turbo S' comes from that WRX, which wore the badge of a 993 Turbo S on it's trunk as tongue-in-cheek humor (Turbo Subaru) and I'm leaning toward swapping the common 'Boxster S' badge for a simple 'RS' badge, as since I live down a gravel road (gasp!) this one will be a Rally Sport (rather than RennSport). And if I do get bitten by the bug and add a Turbo to the Boxster (I love forced induction projects) well, the name will still apply.

Anyway, just wanted to have a 'first post' so we can get on with it. Hello, 986forum-ers!

Cheers!
Tad

Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

Welcome, welcome, welcome. Hope you enjoy your car, and the website.

But, you must have missed the Intro to the Porsche Boxster thread. It's there for new users, like yourself. Browse on over and check it out.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #3

hey man, google 'rally boxster' and you'll find an amazing project by a guy in the uk who built-up a rally boxster c/w long travel suspension, direct-injected engine, etc. cool project.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #4

Welcome, nice platform to come from. I had an '02 WRX that I modded. Unfortunately you'll find that the Boxsters are not quite as mod friendly when it comes to the engines. For example, you can add an exhaust and actually lose horsepower with these cars! Whereas with the WRX you could add a $5 hardware store ball and spring boost controller and gain 20 HP!!! Personally, I've stuck with suspension and cosmetic mods. These cars are pretty incredible though with the suspension done right. It will out corner anything you could have done with your WRX.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #5

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, and good to see this forum posts pretty actively.

Yeah, I saw the other area, but with no specific 'Intro yourself here' spot, and only two threads getting posts in the last two weeks, I figured this to be a better option.

I tend to be a pretty regular forum checker/poster, and the forum I used to frequent the most (NASIOC) has ten times the membership here and a blazingly fast OT. I'm also on Ferrarichat, crowbarn, gunatics, and a few others, but since this is now what I drive, I gotta find a new cafe.

Looks like this is the most active Boxster forum on the interwebs, so here I am, and please forgive what may have appeared as an attention whoring first post in the 'wrong' forum, when that was not my intent.

I checked out the Rally Boxster. Cool project indeed, but probably not going to that extreme. I'm 0.8 miles from the pavement, so I'll just take it slow (<20) and keep it more street oriented. I live outside of Portland, OR near the junction of the two twistiest roads in the greater metro area (Skyline and Rocky Point Road) and the little bit of gravel is worth it to drive these roads every day.

Kirk- like your car's style, especially the side skirts... saw it in other posts while browsing the last couple weeks, though those would turn to gravel/snow scoops where I live.

I'm not surprised to find others here coming from the WRX, and I know this isn't as mod friendly a platform. To be honest, I didn't use the high rpm boost of the Subie as much as I could have with the roads I drive, and I find the 80% of tq available at 2k rpm to be of more benefit than the boosted power of the WRX. That said, I'm following the STi engine swap thread with great interest, since it's an engine I'm very familiar with, and I would definitely consider that route in the event of a catastrophic M96 failure.

Thanks for the welcome, hope to be a regular before long.

Best,
Tad

Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote