Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

anti squeal pads

Brake job time is coming up and it's the first one I'm doing after buying the car last year. I see you can buy anti squeal pads and I'm wondering if they are needed for my particular application or not.

This is a 99 Boxster and I'll be using Zimmerman coated non-drilled oem rotors and most likely Textar oem pads. Daily driver.

I have about 70k miles on the car. Am I likely to find that the handbrake shoes will need replacing as well or do these things pretty much last forever? I don't use the handbrake as a steering aid, but who knows what the previous owner did.

Mark

Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #2

I highly recommend the Weltmeister (spelling?) anti squeal liners, they work awesome. They just stick on the pad backs...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

IIRC when I did my fronts some time ago, the anti-squeal pads were for the S and not the base like you and me.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

I find no use for them. Base boxster brakes don't have them and I did not buy them for my S front brakes.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

So it would seem that they are meant to be used with the more squeal-prone drilled discs, and that the base brakes don't really need them.

Is there any downside to putting them in anyway, other than possibly money for nothing?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #6

With them installed you will not be able to remove your pads while your caliper is still attached to the hub. Because of this, none of the track/auto-x guys use them either as they swap to track pads on the track.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
With them installed you will not be able to remove your pads while your caliper is still attached to the hub. Because of this, none of the track/auto-x guys use them either as they swap to track pads on the track.
True !

The Weltmeister Anti-Squeal liners/stickers work reasonably well
However they tend to delaminate when the brakes get very hot on the track (and only on the track, so don't worry as long as you are only doing spirited driving), as long as the Porsche lettering on your calipers stays white and does not turn yellow they're fine
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #8

Or you could get these real fancy titanium shims...

http://www.girodisc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_60_344&osCsid=b867c8094c7e11c309cc572e588dff1b