Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Was the RMS upgraded in later 986 MYs?

I have an '04 that I'm about to put under the knife (or wrench). Going in for that pesky IMS and upgrading. Everyone says to do the RMS if you're in there anyway. 2 questoions 1) Did Porsche use a better RMS on the later Boxsters? ie mine is a MY 2004, is the RMS upgrade still relevant? And 2) How much is a RMS itself (just the seal not labor)? I couldn't find one on Pelican Parts.

Thanks and lots of questions. The honeymoon phase may have died down a bit and now I'm at the "ok I'm going to have you forever, lets make sure you're right" phase.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

davemon -
My new IMS bearing & RMS are being installed as I type and the advice to me was replace the main seal even though there is no sign of leakage.
My Boxster S is MY2001 and the seal area is dry - but the owner of the Porsche shop says they replace the seal every time with the latest design as heat and age can make even a good original oil seal leak without warning. There has been several upgrades, probably after MY2004 too.
They are charging me the equivalent of US$25-00 for the seal alone, but you will get it for less in the USA.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks ST, I got a price on it, it is a cheapie, so it will be replaced.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemon
I have an '04 that I'm about to put under the knife (or wrench). Going in for that pesky IMS and upgrading. Everyone says to do the RMS if you're in there anyway. 2 questoions 1) Did Porsche use a better RMS on the later Boxsters? ie mine is a MY 2004, is the RMS upgrade still relevant? And 2) How much is a RMS itself (just the seal not labor)? I couldn't find one on Pelican Parts.

Thanks and lots of questions. The honeymoon phase may have died down a bit and now I'm at the "ok I'm going to have you forever, lets make sure you're right" phase.
If I remember correctly, the last RMS revision was in '06. Each revision came with a different recession into the shaft so it is possible to check to see which revision you've got.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

There was a comprehensive article in "Excellence" Magazine that covered all the variations, including the most recent one, which requires special tools to install....
Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

You want the latest 997 part. The seat is about $12, and if you're already "in there" it's foolish to not replace it.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #7

i have an 03 S and the R.M.S. was replaced in 08 . so if i need a new clutch or want to do the I.M.S. upgrade should i replace it again ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #8

My concern was it was going to be a dumb $200+ seal. Now that I know it is $30 or less. replace away.