Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #1

Look what I found laying on top of my engine!

The engine in my '02 S blew up at Road Atlanta last month. I finally got in the garage and started taking the engine out and look what I found on top of the engine case.

This was a re-manufactured engine that was replaced by Porsche for the previous owner of my car. It only had 60K miles! Here's the hole it left.

Many questions! In watching the video of the engine blowing up, I didn't think it had grenaded to this level. A bit of clatter, but no big boom. What causes a rod to jump ship like this? Shouldn't a Porsche built engine last more than 60K? What must I do to insure that the next engine doesn't do the same thing? Obviously a rebuild is out of the question. Do I go back with a 3.2 or use the opportunity to upgrade to a 3.4? Can I do a 3.4 myself in the garage? Is a 3.6 possible?

Here's a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPBjaIOwERU

Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Doesn't look like JB Weld will fix that.

Options: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/11-ENGINE-911_Engine_Swap/11-ENGINE-911_Engine_Swap.htm

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

That piece of rod looks pretty scorched. Usually a sign of oil problem. Maybe you lost oil pressure and spun it...sizzed up and snapped.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #4

Yeah, when I blew up my Formula Ford engine, I was surprised at how little drama there was. No big Nascar ball-of-flames, just one loud thump, like the transmission jumped out of gear, then silence.......... It ends up my crankshaft broke in 3 places, shooting parts out the block and pan!

As far as yours, rod bolt failure?

Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #5

Strange odds, now that frame is set for engine number three..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #6

Sorry to hear that

However, that is why I have upgraded rods and ARP bolts in the 3.8 I built that's in my car. In your case, I would suspect an oiling issue, which is a common problem of all the M96 series engines when put on the track.

Obviously what you have left isn't going to be rebuildable, but on your next motor (whichever route you go with), I'd strongly recommend, at the very least, the 996 X51 pan (which is MUCH better baffled), while the real solution is an accusump.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #7

Not exactly a testamonial for the quasi dry-sump engine.

I wonder who had the last say at that meeting - the engineers or the accountants?

Too bad your in-car cam didn't show the tach through the run.

Do the 3.6, you'll be happy you did!

But be sure to add the deep oil sump w/ baffles!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-09-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #8

That cannt be good.......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

You have to look at the bearings, the crank, the rings, and the cylinder to know if it's an oiling issue. It could also be fatigue of the less than stout rods and/or crankshaft.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote