Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Looking to customize front end

of a 2001 Porsche Boxster 986.......what is the best look in your opinion

DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

GT3 MK1 bumper.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
GT3 MK1 bumper.

I concur, with spoiler lip... IMO the biggest visual impact one can make to the front end of the 986 is litronics if not already equipped.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I concur, with spoiler lip... IMO the biggest visual impact one can make to the front end of the 986 is litronics if not already equipped.
Who sells them?

Also, any recommendations for the rear bumper cover? Any way to remove the warts? Mine got clipped so I want to take advantage of the opportunity to change things up.
poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #5

2003-2004 Bumper... followed by 996 MkII (2002-2004) front-end conversion which will need your fenders and headlights replaced.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor-sha
Also, any recommendations for the rear bumper cover? Any way to remove the warts? Mine got clipped so I want to take advantage of the opportunity to change things up.

I can't seem to find a picture of what I did, but I removed the warts or bumperettes and replaced them with a blank plate. I then mounted the license plate over top of it. I used a perforated metal that looked pretty darn good IMHO. I know another member here used a black plexiglass blank (their picture attached). I had a few of these blanks made up and bought the trim for them, but never did anything with them. If you want one, let me know and I can probably part with one cheap as I now have a Gemballa rear bumper and don't really see myself going back to stock.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #7

Garage
are your blanks artic silver?
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #8

the ctr turbo style looks really good to me

Last edited by DerrickCaracter; 09-07-2010 at 06:22 PM.
DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter

Guess we're not really on the same page here.....
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
are your blanks artic silver?

No what I've got are the black pelxiglass inserts like in the photo.

For my arctic silver car I had installed the perforated metal blank and painted it silver.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #11

Kirk - PM me with how much you'd like for the blanks. Does the underlying metal structure unbolt from the bumper beam? I have to admit that I haven't done more than a cursory look. Thanks.
poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
of a 2001 Porsche Boxster 986.......what is the best look in your opinion
In addition to style, you should also keep in mind the importance of quality. Depending upon your level of perfectionism, all of these body kits and aero parts require an awful lot of fine detail work in order to achieve "factory" like fit and finish. During my search for a kit for my vehicle, I discovered that there were vast differences with regard to quality and construction amongst a wide range of manufactures . Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you that these parts come primed and ready to be installed "out of the box". Be prepared to spend some time and money having it installed by an experienced professional.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-08-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
In addition to style, you should also keep in mind the importance of quality. Depending upon your level of perfectionism, all of these body kits and aero parts require an awful lot of fine detail work in order to achieve "factory" like fit and finish. During my search for a kit for my vehicle, I discovered that there were vast differences with regard to quality and construction amongst a wide range of manufactures . Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you that these parts come primed and ready to be installed "out of the box". Be prepared to spend some time and money having it installed by an experienced professional.
Johnny, quick question- I've noticed on another Boxster owner's car who has a fiberglass replica of the GT3 bumper that he has some nasty rock chips on it...and I'm not talking about small chips, but some chunks that came off from rocks hitting it on the freeway at high speeds presumably...and it looks just awful. With a fiberglass front bumper, is this inevitable, or is the solution just getting a clear bra installed? Even with the clear bra, however, I'm thinking if you get bumped lightly by another car in a parking lot, your bumper will be cracked, as opposed to the OEM polyurethane bumper just deforming and then bouncing back to shape (as mine has a couple times already). Or, do the higher quality fiberglass bumpers have a flexible nature to them?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Pat

Skip fiberglass in general. Not nearly as durable.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Johnny, quick question- I've noticed on another Boxster owner's car who has a fiberglass replica of the GT3 bumper that he has some nasty rock chips on it...and I'm not talking about small chips, but some chunks that came off from rocks hitting it on the freeway at high speeds presumably...and it looks just awful. With a fiberglass front bumper, is this inevitable, or is the solution just getting a clear bra installed? Even with the clear bra, however, I'm thinking if you get bumped lightly by another car in a parking lot, your bumper will be cracked, as opposed to the OEM polyurethane bumper just deforming and then bouncing back to shape (as mine has a couple times already). Or, do the higher quality fiberglass bumpers have a flexible nature to them?

Certain that it is, when fiberglass takes an impact, it is far more susceptible to being damaged than polyurethane. However, the nice thing about fiberglass is that it can easily be repaired as compared to polyurethane. Polyurethane is a great material provided that the part(s) fit well. I have seen several aftermarket body kits and aero parts made from poly, wherein the fit and finish was terrible. This presents a real problem, because poly cannot be "manipulated" or shaped like fiberglass to ensure a perfect fit. Personally, I have not had any problems with the fiberglass body kit on my vehicle. And, to answer your question regarding rock chips and road rash, I have clear bra installed on my vehicle in several key areas and it has proven to be invaluable.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #16

Garage
To further elaborate on the topic of fiberglass, there is a vast difference in quality and durability between a European manufactured body kit/aero part that meets TUV standards than most of the domestically produced "stuff" one encounters on Ebay and the like.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks, I figure there must be high quality fiberglass out there. I mean, Vettes and Lotus cars use Fiberglass extensively, and I don't see them running around with big rock chips on their front ends. Lol. Perhaps they have some more flex in them or have protective covering.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Thanks, I figure there must be high quality fiberglass out there. I mean, Vettes and Lotus cars use Fiberglass extensively, and I don't see them running around with big rock chips on their front ends. Lol. Perhaps they have some more flex in them or have protective covering.
Do you know where they use these materials? I doubt in bumpers.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:

If you like the style, the Caractere bumper shown in your photo is a very high quality piece. Be cautious, however, there are a few "knock offs" of their design out there.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Do you know where they use these materials? I doubt in bumpers.
http://www.tuvdotcom.com/pi/web/whatCertifiedProduct.xml?LanguageChanged=en-us&sLand=&sLang=