Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

2.7, 2006 Boxster Upgrades

What are the best upgrades for my stock Boxster, just one tweak up, for the street? Ones that actually show a performance difference.

I've noticed for the suspension people are recommending the Tarret engineering / Carrea GT anti sway bars and links. Can I feel the difference for the $1200 investment?

On the engine side the "tuners" here in SE Florida all recommend an intake filter by EVO , the ecm flash, and either "gut the cats" or the Billy Boat exhaust.
some are saying 30 + HP/torque.

What works? Who's the best shop and ecm flash to use? Will the car still be reliable after the mods? Is it worth the $3 k.

Can anyone who's had this done advise?
Thanks

Michael Greenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

30+ out of the exhaust? Who told you that the muffler salesman?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

Well don't get the chip and exhaust, the e-supercharger gives you 50hp instantly!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

trying to cut thru the BS

Guys,

I'm looking for help before I buy, been around the block in life you know...

I said: with the evo airfilter, flashing the ECM and the BB exhaust the tuner shops are saying 30 hp..at the crank.
Are they full of it? or are they telling the truth?

EKAM what is an E- supercharger?

Appreciate the help gentleman
Boxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #5

looking for help not BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
30+ out of the exhaust? Who told you that the muffler salesman?
sir,
I'm asking for help not BS.
If you read and understood my post you wouldn't have made such a statement.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #6

Looking for help not BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Well don't get the chip and exhaust, the e-supercharger gives you 50hp instantly!
SIR,
What is this item? do you have any experiance with it, thanks for the help.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #7

Garage
I would concur with eightsandaces. I doubt those numbers. If I were you I would ask for a dyno sheet.

Even if there is a bump in HP more often than not there is a drop of low end torque where it is needed most.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmike
SIR,
What is this item? do you have any experiance with it, thanks for the help.
he was being facetious, the E charger is garbage. not worth your time to even consider
Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
sir,
I'm asking for help not BS.
If you read and understood my post you wouldn't have made such a statement.
Actually, I made that statement because I did understand your post, the numbers for gains listed for Porsches can be wildly inflated, especially exhaust claims. Do a forum search on the under-pulley, that adds legit HP.

It's also helpful to realize the Boxster isn't a boulevard stop light to stop light bruiser, if you wanted it to be you would be into numbers higher than the cost of initial acquisition.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #10

No BS

Thanks for the info. I'll check out your suggestion.
I'm on this forum for help.
Before I throw $$ away for nothing but a loud wanna be.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #11

The questions, to me, are what exactly

do you perceive as performance? What are you trying to do better? Are you a good enough driver that you'll be able to tell the difference? How sensitive is your butt-o-meter is the way it sometimes gets phrased.

A complete rework of the existing engine would cost you around $18K. That would give you guaranteed/demonstrated/dyno'ed additional cubes, HP, torque and driveability. Many parts would not be original but they would all have been tested and proven together. No suspension or brakes included in that price.

It is a slippery slope.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #12

Garage
if all you are looking for is raw power dont waste your money on this motor. learn to drive the car and save your pennies for an X51 conversion.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Greenberg
What are the best upgrades for my stock Boxster, just one tweak up, for the street? Ones that actually show a performance difference.

On the engine side the "tuners" here in SE Florida all recommend an intake filter by EVO , the ecm flash, and either "gut the cats" or the Billy Boat exhaust.
some are saying 30 + HP/torque.

What works? Who's the best shop and ecm flash to use? Will the car still be reliable after the mods? Is it worth the $3 k.
Thanks
Most of us can relate to your questions from the time when we first bought our cars. The reality is that making power in a 2.7 is difficult and expensive. Forum member "edevlin" probably has the most tricked out 2.7 on this site but it took 2 years and $6k+ to get there. I think he enjoyed the journey but if asked I am not sure he would go down that road again. The other issue is that adding intake/chip/gutted cats makes the car no longer street legal in the US, although some states are more serious about enforcement than others.

I suggest to my students:
Ignore the shiny ebay lures and false hp claims, get a good set of tires and drive the car stock for a year. Once you are outrunning all other stock Porsches at the AX course and racetrack, then we should talk about building a real race car.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #14

Mr Greenberg...
Most of us on this (and other sites) have fantasised/investigated/priced up the go faster goodies for our Boxsters. As said previously, most of the "upgrades" are either false promises or hidiously expensive.

1) Most all exhaust systems will not give you any more usable power, less torque and a terrible drone at highway speed. If you are into that style, you can bury $2-3 k with ease.

2) You can de-snorkel the intake for no cost which gives a more aggresive intake noise, though the jury is out as to whether it gives any increase in performance. I de-snorkeled my Boxster S, thought I lost a little mid range so replaced it.

3) Do make sure you get a good 4 wheel alignment by a reputable Porsche savvy shop - the improvement in steering feel and cornering ability is worth every cent.

4) Also make sure you have 4 (good quality) tyres to go with your alignment - it won't make you go any faster in a straight line, but not much will keep with you in the bends.

5) The best 2 mods I have done performance wise (apart from the above) is the LN Engineering low temperature thermostat and underspeed pulley. The thermostat (again) doesn't do anything for outright speed but the pulley adds about 7-8 hp to the bottom line - which really can be felt at low to medium revs.
Both these parts would cost you less than $500.

And if you REALLY wanted to go faster, invest in a driver training programme. I thought I was a bit of a hotshot (in my own mind) but when I went down to the driver training I found I was next to useless. I've done 3 now and still consider myself pretty average, but a lot more confident in my (and the cars) capabilities.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #15

upgrade my 2.7 boxster ?

Thank you for the info.
I've read and reread article after article on exhausts, flashing, K& N filters etc.
20 to 35 HP at the crank may or may not be noticable. Checking it all out after the job is done on the dyno, well what happens if it isn't as promised or the car runs like crap?
Looked at a TPC racing low pressure turbo unit, that's got to work.
But the price $7500 plus..Ow!
And how will th car run afterward?
They say it runs like a stock car..well maybe.
Very fustrating to find out there's nothing to be done...but we send people to the Moon don't we?

Thought this forum(and the others) would have some answers.
If what you say is true then it seems there's a lot of guys spending some hard earned bucks on masturbation.
Rather spend my dough on a vacation with a hot blond with big boobs.

Comments ...anyone?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #16

2.7 upgrade

Thanks to everyone for their posts.
I'm disappointed but not as much as I would be if I spent my hard earned cash on BS.

I've bought a jar to start saving my pennies in for that GT3 RSR I saw on the showroom floor today.

Figure I should have that new GT 3 by MY 2050
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #17

I suspect that by far the most cost effective performance upgrade for the 2.7 Boxster is to sell it and buy a 3.2 or a 3.4.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for the info.
I've read and reread article after article on exhausts, flashing, K& N filters etc.
20 to 35 HP at the crank may or may not be noticable. Checking it all out after the job is done on the dyno, well what happens if it isn't as promised or the car runs like crap?
Looked at a TPC racing low pressure turbo unit, that's got to work.
But the price $7500 plus..Ow!
And how will th car run afterward?
They say it runs like a stock car..well maybe.
Very fustrating to find out there's nothing to be done...but we send people to the Moon don't we?

Thought this forum(and the others) would have some answers.
If what you say is true then it seems there's a lot of guys spending some hard earned bucks on masturbation.
Rather spend my dough on a vacation with a hot blond with big boobs.

Comments ...anyone?
if hot blonds and boobs are your thing then by all means.

but yes a low pres. TPC is a good kit and being low pres. it will drive more like an NA car.

but Like I said previously if you want raw power save for an X51 motor. if all you want is straight line performance for cheap... might as well forget even that GT3RS you were eyeing because that also will lose to any moderately built muscle car for a fraction of the price in the straights.

if you want looks there are many things you can do to make your car a looker. hey maybe you will impress a big boobed blond or two.

OR you could just find some good old bendy roads and tear the **************** out of your car. because you and her will love it.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #19

IMO, turbocharging a Boxster without changing other components, particularly the IMS bearing, is risky. Porsche didn't want it's new entry to cannibalize the 911 sales. As a result they did an excellent job of making sure a Boxster that can compete with the 911 would have nearly the same financial investment as a 911 or more. Google RKspyder for a corroboration.

Mike, is this your first Porsche? The reason I ask is I'm surprised you are not already impressed. Porsches can be deceptive in their speed, they're so smooth, sometimes you don't even know you're well above the speed limit.

As others have correctly mentioned, driving makes a huge difference. I'm quite sure Mario Andretti could scare the living crap out of me with a stock Boxster.

PS: 20-30 at the crank would be extremely noticeable, the issue is you aren't going to get there with ecu flashing and exhaust mods. One other thing that will always make speed is to ditch all the extra weight you can, I don't even run a full gas tank.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 08-25-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #20

another thing to note in the hp game is that it is a curve that varies with respect to rpm. as rpm increases hp increases. so, an ecu flash may get you 10 hp, but they do that by moving the rev limiter up a couple hundred rpm; performance isn't changed but max hp at the new max rpm is a bit higher. how often do you drive at 7400 rpm vs how often do you drive at 3000 rpm? freer-flowing exhaust may net you a few more hp, but again at max rpm when the engine is trying to move maximum air. at 1500 rpm the engine actually wants to see a bit of back pressure, so your $3k exhaust is actually robbing from peter to pay paul. cold air intake - what do you think the box has already? in fact, you could argue that the stock intake is more of a cold air intake than the aftermarket units, as the stock unit is completely sealed, whereas the aftermarket units depend on a rubber gasket mating to the engine cover to form part of the seal.

ask yourself what you want - more top-end and max speed, or more honk to pull yourself out of corners? if you want to go fast and straight you may have the wrong car. the ecu/cai/exhaust are a good start, however. if you want something fast out of the corners, start thinking weight, rotating mass and engine load - light battery, light seats, light body panels, light wheels, light flywheel, ac delete, roof delete, carpet delete, underdrive pulley - find out what the racers are doing to their cars.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote