View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Steve Tinker

Mr Greenberg...
Most of us on this (and other sites) have fantasised/investigated/priced up the go faster goodies for our Boxsters. As said previously, most of the "upgrades" are either false promises or hidiously expensive.

1) Most all exhaust systems will not give you any more usable power, less torque and a terrible drone at highway speed. If you are into that style, you can bury $2-3 k with ease.

2) You can de-snorkel the intake for no cost which gives a more aggresive intake noise, though the jury is out as to whether it gives any increase in performance. I de-snorkeled my Boxster S, thought I lost a little mid range so replaced it.

3) Do make sure you get a good 4 wheel alignment by a reputable Porsche savvy shop - the improvement in steering feel and cornering ability is worth every cent.

4) Also make sure you have 4 (good quality) tyres to go with your alignment - it won't make you go any faster in a straight line, but not much will keep with you in the bends.

5) The best 2 mods I have done performance wise (apart from the above) is the LN Engineering low temperature thermostat and underspeed pulley. The thermostat (again) doesn't do anything for outright speed but the pulley adds about 7-8 hp to the bottom line - which really can be felt at low to medium revs.
Both these parts would cost you less than $500.

And if you REALLY wanted to go faster, invest in a driver training programme. I thought I was a bit of a hotshot (in my own mind) but when I went down to the driver training I found I was next to useless. I've done 3 now and still consider myself pretty average, but a lot more confident in my (and the cars) capabilities.