Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Radio for boxster 02?

Hi everyone,

Recently got a used 02 boxster and the radio doesn't turn on. It's not a code error or anything, it just doesn't turn on. It appears that it isn't a fuse problem, people are telling me it's probably the amplifier. Here's where I need your help: what do I need to buy exactly and do any of you guys know if I can find a compatible non-porsche radio that will fit in my 02 boxster? I have the non-GPS radio right now, with cassette am/fm and multi cd player.

Hope you can help! Thanks in advance!

knicksplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #2

Garage
it could be several things...

My uncle's boxster is doing the same thing right now. Could be the ignition switch getting flakey on you. You might try jiggling it a little. Also do a search on this forum for the "cdr 220" radio and you'll find lots of threads on this problem. I figure when mine goes I'll just replace with something better. Porsche is notorious for using crappy radios.

good luck
sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Sean. Do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost me to replace the radio?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #4

Garage
You can buy used ones on ebay all day for under $200. Also you might try pulling the fuse for awhile and see that clears anything out. It's probably not the amplifier. It's more likely the head-unit. Also, the ignition switch goes out and starts to cause all kinds of strange things to happen. You might try jiggling it a little.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

If you plan to change out your head unit, I can help. I recently did mine, changed it out with a $250 Kenwood unit. Go to this link and select Porsche Boxster, and it will give you all the units that fit and if you order it from their website they send you all the necessary tools required to take out the stock unit.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #6

dont forget that there is a 10amp fuse on the back of the radio. You need to pull it to change it. I almost bought a new radio until I pulled the original out and there it was-- a popped fuse.

bet you a buck that is all you need to do.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #7

Thanks guys, I'll try finding out what the real problem is.. jhandy, hope I can give you a buck...