Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #21

I am so confused.

/

Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
I am so confused.

/
i think its a cali. thing
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
And I would never get another boxster unless it was an S... and even that will be a little underpowered around town IMO.
Eh? Traffic speeds in the US are positively glacial. Even a base 2.5 is overkill for town driving Stateside.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #24

Because I live in the 4th largest city in the USA, I crave far better 0-60 performance than my 2.5 offers. It's not a top-speed issue at all. I rarely get above 80 mph.

I would just like to get to 80 mph in far less time than I get to it now
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc115
I want to thank everyone again for their input, it was much appreciated.

I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a car. However, it was not the 986, I found a 545i smg with 33k miles, sports/premium pkg for only 21k out the door!
After test driving the 550i I was hooked on the v8, and then found a deal on a 545i that I couldn't refuse.

I'll be over at the 5series.net forums now, if anyone wants to chat over there, I'm under the same name.

Best regards,

Henry

Well, you sure surprised me. You've been dreaming about a Porsche (Boxster/Carrera) for your transition from a BMW 323i. So what do you buy? A 545i. It's a nice car, but it's not a sports car. It's not a Porsche. What made you abandon your dream?

P.S. Enjoy the BMW - they're nice cars.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #26

The only desirable 5-series for me would be E39. Then BMW went downhill on iDrive, Bangle, American diet, etc.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc115
I want to thank everyone again for their input, it was much appreciated.

I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a car. However, it was not the 986, I found a 545i smg with 33k miles, sports/premium pkg for only 21k out the door!
After test driving the 550i I was hooked on the v8, and then found a deal on a 545i that I couldn't refuse.

I'll be over at the 5series.net forums now, if anyone wants to chat over there, I'm under the same name.

Best regards,

Henry

Henry, come back and tell us how you're liking the 545i, and why you gave up your dream for a sports car (and a Porsche, at that).
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #28

Hi people.

LOL, I sure surprised myself too. When I started searching for a car, I didn't even have the E60 on my list of cars to search for. It was one of those things that just happened--test drove a 550i and fell for it. So when I lucked out and found a killer deal on a low milage 545i that was within my price range, I guess it was a no brainer.

Been driving the 545i for a few days and I'm having a blast with it. Sure, it's no Porsche but for a sedan, it sure handles amazingly. And the 325hp/325tq v8 really does pull you back into the seat. The SMG transmission shifts very well, very fun to play with in my mind. The iDrive is not bad, I'm getting used to it, and as I become more familiar with the system, the more I like it. The 545i is a wonderful cruiser, yet can still hold its own when I'm in a sporty mood, down shift a gear or two and this boat of a sedan can fly. 33k miles, sports pkg, premium sound, navi, and a v8 for 21k...it was the most logical choice.

I didn't abandon my dreams of owning a Porsche, rather, just postponed. I thought long and hard, and decided that it would be unwise of me to pick up a Porsche while I'm finishing school. If any large unexpected maintenance or repairs were to occur, I would be totally be screwed--and carless.
Although I really wanted a Porsche, I think the wise choice was to hold off until I was more financially stable.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your car, everyone, whether it be Porsche or BMW.
hc115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #29

I think it's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you drive them... The E60's are great cars...

Coming from a modded 986, in my humble opinion, the E60 535i with active suspension handling is extremely impressive. Like I said previously, body roll feels nonexistent, it absorbs bumps in the road with grace, and yet still feels extremely sporty, stiff yet poised, and takes those right hand turns so clean and fast and does them effortlessly.

My 986 with modded suspension compared to the 535i feels much more 'nervous' in comparison.

I think you made a good choice. It's a lot of car for the money and an excellent daily driver car, that gives you great sporty performance and practicality as well.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
I think it's one of those things that doesn't make sense until you drive them... The E60's are great cars...

Coming from a modded 986, in my humble opinion, the E60 535i with active suspension handling is extremely impressive. Like I said previously, body roll feels nonexistent, it absorbs bumps in the road with grace, and yet still feels extremely sporty, stiff yet poised, and takes those right hand turns so clean and fast and does them effortlessly.

My 986 with modded suspension compared to the 535i feels much more 'nervous' in comparison.

I think you made a good choice. It's a lot of car for the money and an excellent daily driver car, that gives you great sporty performance and practicality as well.
Chaudanova basically summed it up in better words.

hc115 is offline   Reply With Quote