Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Boxster won't start

Just put a rebuilt engine (I did it so I know its done right) into my Boxster. Filled it up with fluids and it won't start. (I have never heard this car run before because I bought it as a rolling project)
Checked the basics --> Has good compression in all cylinders (ruling out cam timing issues), has spark in all cylinders and has fuel under pressure in the fuel rails.
The engine turns over and fires but won't run, just sputters and quits.

I have an OBD2 Code-Reader made by IMMOVA (3100C) however when I hook it up all it will read is ERROR which is making me question the Onboard Computer as being a possible culprit.

--->A little history: I bought the car with a bad engine and it had sat for 3 years before being sold. Have since replaced the engine. Carpets inside seemed dry when I bought it.

The car has an appointment at Porsche at 9:30am on Saturday. Does anyone have any suggestions in the mean time?

hosickjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #2

maybe disconnect MAF sensor wiring and retry...go back over your work
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

I got the OBD2 Reader to work after reading a posting on Renntech. I added the forum below if anyone else had this problem.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9664-code-reader-equus-innova-3100c/

Now that the code reader is reading it had 0 codes.

We did have a broken wire on the Crankshaft Position Sensor (pinched,,, my fault) that happened when we took the engine out; We soldered the wire. I am replacing that sensor tomorrow morning just in case (at $230!!!!!). I doubt that is it because there's no reason soldering shouldn't have allowed for plenty of signal.

We have double and triple checked all wires. There are NO wires that aren't hooked up that either of us can find. Everything looks fine.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #4

Car started first turn after having a new crank position sensor put in. For some reason it didn't trigger a code in the computer though.
All fixed!!