Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #1

3.4 996 ?

I came across a locally for sale 99 996 with full factory gt3 body and full leather . great looking car with just under 50k on it from the original owner who just purchased a brand new Carrera . This car has me thinking about selling my 03 S and picking up the 996. Do you guys think this is an actual upgrade and what do you think of the 3.4 motor ? just trying to figure out if this is a good move or not .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #2

Factory GT3 body...sure it isn't the aero kit? The 3.4 M96 is one of the weaker designs due to the larger bores for the cylinders, but not any more problematic than the rest of the bunch.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 08-25-2010 at 05:31 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

It's more likely the factory Aero Kit than it is is actual GT3 bodywork. The 3.4 M96 is one of the weaker versions of the family, but if it's made it this far it's probably pretty sound. Only thing I would insist on would an IMS bearing upgrade.

As to it being an "upgrade" from an 03 S, I'd say no. To move up from your 03 S you're either going to want a 3.6 or 3.8 powered Carrera or a 987 Boxster S.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If it's a 99, it most likely looks like this with the full aerokit. Is it an upgrade? Depends on how you look at it. From an image standpoint, perhaps, as it is a Carrrera. From a driving/performance/handling standpoint, not so much. Plus, you're going back to a car that is 4 yrs older than your current one.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have both in my garage,01' S and 01' 3.4 Carrera.

Too similar. The 3.4 has torque that (unless extensively modified) the 3.2L will never touch. Interior,same go figure. Front half of the car is the same...Both have stupid electronic features that drive me crazy. In 6 years of driving these cars I hardly ever turn on the stupid AC and when I do it's a pain in the ass trying to find out which of the 20 buttons I should press to turn it on. Each has their own feel,that's for sure though. The Boxster is fun to just cruise in,but the Carrera has prestige that is admired by onlookers everywhere of any age.

My Dad loves his Carrera,I love my Boxster. To each their own.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #6

I guess it is more about the exterior styling for me . the 3.4 cars look really good in the full aerokit which is the early 996 gt3 bodywork that the U.S. did not get. Love the boxster but always felt that the 911 was the goal but not so sure in this case.

after taking a good look at the 996 it appears that my boxster is in much nicer condition . the 99 interior looks dated next to my S . My car has full red leather , bose , pcm 2.0 and matching colors. i also have a hard time going backwards in model years .
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #7

99 996 interior. exteriors are about equal my boxster has similar mileage