Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

2002 2.7 - 44,000 Miles

A friend of mine is considering selling his 02 Lapis blue Boxster with tan leather interior. Which pricing guide is the most accurate now? I bought my 2000 four years ago and I haven't kept up.

His car is in pretty nice condition. He keeps it in the garage. I help him change the oil every year, so I know it is done right. He is selling because a back injury makes it tough to get in and out. He did hit a deer with it about 2 years ago, and had it repaired at one of the best body shops in the area.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #2

It's a buyers' market. Prices have been in the toilet for a few years. Your friend will probably cry when he starts researching prices.

Price are all over the place, as they've always been. I'd look at kbb.com (trade in & private party), edmunds.com, autotrader.com and eBay. Closed eBay auctions, for both sold and unsold cars, I think are the best gauge for what people are willing to pay. For unsolds, look at where the bidding stopped. Create a spreadsheet with results over the course of a few weeks and you'll get a clear picture of value, +/-5%.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

I looked at closed eBay auctions a little earlier tonight. It appears that a relatively low percentage of Boxsters sell there. So you are probably correct that he may shed a few tears.

I don't know his timetable for selling, but in a month or two, many people will be putting their interest in convertibles on hold until spring.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #4

Fall and early winter is when prices for these cars should be at their lowest. You know the condition well and since it's a friend, try to identify a price that would represent a FAIR value that you would both be happy walking away with. Maybe probe him on that before expressing a true potential desire to buy.

If, for example, you'd be willing to pay 15k but he'll be upset if he gets less than 18k for it, I'd evaluate the stress the money would put on the friendship.

If you guys can come to a good arrangement and you get a good deal for being a friend and saving him the time advertising, while still giving him a good price, that's the only time i'd buy....

I know that's not much pricing guidance, just my own experiences in these types of things...

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

I should clarify my post. I'm not planning to buy the car from him. I'm just trying to obtain some advice to pass on. Right now, I think he may be a little optimistic about the price and how quickly he can sell.

I'm staying with my 2000. There were some minor improvements between the 00 and 02 models, but not enough to tempt me. I have my car set up the way I like it. The hard top is great in the winter, and some of the other modifications make the car feel like it was made for me.

I won't be in the market again for at least six years. I have a high school student planning for college. That makes even a new Porsche appear inexpensive.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I looked at closed eBay auctions a little earlier tonight. It appears that a relatively low percentage of Boxsters sell there. So you are probably correct that he may shed a few tears.

I don't know his timetable for selling, but in a month or two, many people will be putting their interest in convertibles on hold until spring.
I've purchased my last 4 vehicles on Ebay. I always search the "Completed Auctions" section of Ebay to get an idea of what things actually go for. Kevin is right, a very small percentage of vehicles actually sell, I'm thinking less than 5%, probably closer to 2-3%. Most people think their item is worth way more than it actually is and the reserves are never met. And KBB or NADA???? A year later, NADA said my wife's Subaru was worth more than what we paid for it new. I'd sell every vehicle I own if I could get KBB or NADA retail, even private party retail.

If you really need to sell, put it on Ebay with a low starting price and no reserve. Yes, there's a chance if you hold out you may get a better price, but then again, maybe not, and your car will be a little older, and worth a little less.