Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #21

+1 Pothole.

I have had an obsession with Porsches ever since childhood. When it comes time to part with the Box S, I may well buy a 996TT 996GT3 or a 997 C2/4S. I am moving from Australia at the end of this year to a place where I can import a US car and pay very little import duty so the jump in cost will be insignificant. Just the decision of what to get will be difficult.

As for owning a Ferrari, I have cousins and friends who own 360's and 430's. They seem to love them (and have the money to maintain them, unfortunately I do not) although for me the ultimate would be to buy a brand new GT3 or maybe even a Carrera GT. I like the Turbo although I have always been more of a fan of NA engines.

Either way, even if money was no object, I would stay loyal to the Porsche marque. I would just enjoy being able to afford brand new ones, and more than one at a time.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #22

Audi R8 V10 would be my choice, and another 928 (preferably a 5 speed GTS) on the side.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #23

Blue200S LB, it's the same weight as a Boxster S, I'm not sure where you're coming from with the weight comment.

I'm commenting on Ferraris in general, not a specific model.

And, don't get me wrong... If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd have at least 3 Scuderie machines in my garage!

But for those of us who do not breathe the 'rare' air, keeping a Ferrari is too rich for my, and the majority of those heres, pocketbook.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-20-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #24

My next upgrade will be the biggest horswpower engine Jake can put in a Boxster. No plastic cars for me. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
My next upgrade will be the biggest horswpower engine Jake can put in a Boxster. No plastic cars for me. Ed

I agree, upgrade to a 3.6 for me, maybe even with a twin turbo . I would be more than satisfied.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #26

My 6th sports car will be a

well it probably won't be.

Where would I get the F-car repaired. I have enough trouble with the P-car.

I keep my money in appreciating assets and I don't see even collector cars as being those.

I could...but would I really get more fun or would I just be trying to impress somebody else...which is something I stopped trying to do a while ago.

I drive a '01S because it is fun for me and not worth so much I have to worry too much about it.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #27

I have an 04 Boxster with a 5spd stick, and it is a fair weather daily driver. Since I have owned it, it has never seen snow, and sees rain only by accident. I have a Jeep Liberty for the cold, rain and snow. Seeing that I have 4 kids, the oldest is 7, and the youngest are 4 (twins), I will not likely be upgrading any time soon. I love this car, so if and when I upgrade, I will likely get a newer model. If the engine blows at some point, I will likely get an upgraded engine -maybe even a Raby rebuild or somethnig similar.

If I will the Lotto (kind of hard to win, since I don't play), or come by a large sum of money in some other way... Well, I have a list that I call my "12 Car Garage" (despite the name I currently have 21 cars on the list) and I will finally be able to build my garage and fill it up.

PS: I learned to drive on a stick, I will likely drive a stick until the day I die. No paddle shifters for me, thank you.
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #28

Up? What you talking 'bout Willis?

My first car was a '48 Dodge with enough room in the backseat for a keg. My first sports car was an Opel GT. Loved that car, but if the humidity level was above 3% the damn thing wouldn't start. I've had a 924, a 944, a 911 and a Boxster. Given the speed limits in the States, I'll stick with my mid-engine beauty thank you.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #29

I'm going to complete opposite route that everyone else has said. I want a slammed on the ground with nothing on it that doesn't make it either run or stop chopped up rat rod. I've always loved old school chopped rods and have considered selling my S in order to build one. It provides zero luxury and is almost guaranteed to kill you if you are involved in any type of collision but that's pretty much what I'm going for.

I have a 63 Chevy 1 ton Panelvan that is soon to go under the knife and if that holds me over for a while then maybe ill upgrade to a 911
Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #30

I've been asking myself a similar question: what's next (I don't automatically assume the direction is "up"). I have other toys - a cabin and a couple of boats - so for me the Boxster is a peripheral item anyway. In the 1 year I've had it I put about 5,000 miles on it, about 90% with the top down in fair weather. My previous sports / sporty cars were a Miata (loved the car, cost near nothing to maintain), a BMW 328ic (I wanted a rear seat for the dog and an AT for the wife, but this car was never really right for me), and a modded Lexus SC430 (happy with it except for exterior appearance, just not sporty enough). I got the Boxster on a whim and am pretty darn happy with it, but I do "look around". My neighbor has a Maserati convertible that seems about the right blend of sports / luxury / looks - but I don' think I'd like the maintenance. I too love Ferrari exteriors, but would never reconcile the running cost.

Ironically, my wife pushed me towards the Boxster - she really liked the looks of the car (she dislikes almost all other Porsches) saying it "doesn't look like a sports car - it looks like something Grace Kelly would drive". Um, ok. Except I ended up with a manual and I have the "specially lowered seats" option (basically they reduce the padding) so she has no interest in driving it (she's happy to be a passenger).

My wife has also made appeciative noises about the newer SL Mercedes, but OMG look at the reliability. Even CPO or with a warrenty, it's going to be in the shop a lot.

I've looked at Carrera coupes (I don't find the cabs attractive) but I really do prefer a roadster, and - honestly - I haven't seen another car that's more attractive (though we did park next to a Z8 the other night that I liked).

In summary, I think I'm going to have this Boxster for quite some time...

Last edited by CenterIsl; 08-21-2010 at 07:52 AM.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #31

a running 914 or an austin healey i'm easy
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #32

I bought this last March. It's a 1995 F355 Spider. Had 124 miles on it at the time. Has about 1,700 miles on it now. It took 2nd in class at Concorso Italiano last Friday in Monterey.

I'm keeping the Boxster though.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #33

Oh, and I wrench on motorcycles for a living, so I plan to do all of my own work on it, including the engine-out service which is done every 5 years or 30k miles (not every 6k miles!)
Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #34

r8

I've always loved Ferraris, but I'd go with the Audi R8; it's more practical, and probably more exclusive right now since most people haven't caught up to it yet.
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #35

Garage
Buy a 2nd boxster......drop a 3.8 in it. ....twin turbo it. ....19 inch wheels. .....we all know it will take the abuse. ...drive it.... I like the idea of TT's in a boxster.....pseudo carrera GT......besides didn't someone say something along the lines. ...in regard to Porsche "those who drive one. ...know". I do. ....I'm sure you all do too
Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #36

Yeah, it depends on what you want to do. If you wanted to drive it a lot an R8 or a Gallardo would be a good choice. Heck even an air cooled 911 twin turbo would be good.

I'm planning to drive my Ferrari 5k miles a year. I'd say the average Ferrari gets driven less than 2k miles per year. They cost about $1 to $2 per mile to drive (a little more if you include depreciation). I'll bet an R8 or Gallardo would be more like $0.50 a mile.

The Ferrarri is a different experience. It's scary to own, scary to drive (because I'm always a little worried I'm going to scratch one of the wheels that cost $2,300 each... though the tire shop already did that for me yesterday). Or worse, I'm worried that the motor will fail, since a top-end rebuild is $20k.

I can't put my finger on it, but Ferraris are different to drive.

In the long run, I describe it to my friends like this: The Ferrari is like a hot/difficult girl I would date. The Porsche is like a girl I would marry.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #37

On my current budget, if I was to move on from the Boxster I'd get a pre-air suspension Jaguar XJ. They say the Jag's of old had the best ride quality in the business, and it would be a nice change from the Boxster.

If I had to just "step up," with money involved, I'd probably get an Aston Martin V8. Obviously just like the XJ it's a completely different drive from the Boxster, but the looks and the noise always keeps me thinking about it.

And if money was no object at all, I'd go past every one of these cars and get myself an Enzo or a 599 GTO. I know they aren't practical, or robust, or probably not very drivable in everyday conditions, but those cars look so special and being next to an Enzo or a regular 599 feels so special that I'd snatch one up without a second thought.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #38

either a 2004 GT3 or a 2006 Carrera S - in my dreams
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #39

I have been thinking about this extensively lately. At this point, if I were to switch, it would probably be on to a Vette. That said, whenever I see the Boxster, those thoughts disappear.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #40

997 Turbo

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...og997/ava5.jpg
lardog is offline   Reply With Quote