Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

After Market Parking Sensor for 986

Hi all,
I`m new to the forum and looking for some advice… purchased a 2.7 2001 boxster with 17 k miles on the clock. It looks and drives like new! The only problem is PARKING as the back side is big! Looking on the net for Parking Sensors found PD1Rear Sensors, which are attached to the back (inside) of the bumper…. Has any one installed one of these? Is the back bumper easy to take off and re-install? Is there a route from the boot (trunk) to the inside of the car so I can place the buzzer?
Any advice will help.
Thanks in Advance.
Sam

sam986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #2

Sure! But Parking Sensor instalation got to be easier than putting the top down every time and its always there even when raining! Lets see if we get any help, may be you should concider installing one too?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

The back bumper can be removed in about a half hour. There are wiring harnesses that run from the rear trunk into the main cabin that you can piggyback onto with the wiring if you're handy enough.

Anything is possible on our cars if you have the time and patience or money to have someone install it for you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the quick respond, did you install one of these sensors on yours? And if yes, are you satisfied with it? Do you think these new back of the bumper sensors are as reliable and efficient as the infared ones which have to be drilled in place? I`m a turbine generator engineer and can do certain things myself but before I can pick up the tools need to review the procedure, sorry if I`m asking for too much info, am just not too sure exactly where to find the wiring harness!
Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #5

I've not installed one on my boxster, but I've become chemically dependent on factory unit installed on my BMW. I can clearly see why you want one on your boxster.

My knowledge about the wiring harness and bumper removal comes from poking around my car extensively and studying the Bentley repair manual... which makes great late night reading!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #6

Thanks for the idea, however the price difference is considerable between the Pioneer and the PD1, I can purchase the PD1 for £80 (UK pounds) and am also after a hardtop so better to save some money on the parking sensor….. I think I have enough info now to be able to install it and will go ahead and purchase one with in the next couple of weeks and soon as its installed will send a post and let you know if its satisfactory or not. Perhaps will send some photos too....
Old 09-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #7

Installed the PD1 parking sensor on the back of the bumper, works great! Just a little too sensitive, it even picks up curbs! The hardest par was eclectically insulating the crash bar which was done using nomex sheets…. took me about 5 hours all together including the electrical connections and tests….
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam986
Installed the PD1 parking sensor on the back of the bumper, works great! Just a little too sensitive, it even picks up curbs! The hardest par was eclectically insulating the crash bar which was done using nomex sheets…. took me about 5 hours all together including the electrical connections and tests….
Well done Sam!

Did you take any pictures during the install?

I have parking sensors on my daily and have become pretty dependent on them, been thinking about fitting them to my Boxster for a while now
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #9

Don`t have pictures, but willing to help step by step:
1. Remove the back bumper using the guidline on the web (as I did, there is no pictures just follow the step by step guide).

2. Read the instalation guide step by step a night before and follow it as per print

3. To insulate the crash bar you will need plastic washers and some sheets of insulating material (I used nomex about 0.030 inch thick both for contact areas and making up the washer for bolted joints)

4. Get the electrical connection from the reverse light supply and earth

Any questions, ask me.....
Where are you based?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #10

Garage
Cheers Sam,
I'm based in Beverley East Yorkshire about 35 miles from York, thanks for the offer of help I may take you up on it if I get stuck!
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #11

Here is the only photo I have.... The top of the spoiler is removed to get access to the screws which hold the bumper...