Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Steering wheel vibration..

I am getting a steering wheel vibration (it moves from side to side) around 70-85 mph. If I hit 90-100 is totally disappears. From 60-70 it's very faint you can barely notice it. Once you hit 75 it's very obvious that the steering wheel is moving. It's like an oscillation it moves back and forth ever so slightly. I had a 4 wheel alignment by a Porsche indie about month ago.

Are there any known front end suspension parts that go out around 60k and can cause roughness?

On an unrelated side note I notice a squeak coming from the rear right behind me when I go over bumps.

I appreciate anyone's input on the matter.

2001boxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

Interesting... I also have an 01 and experience the same back/forth of the steering wheel around 60-+ I have had: wheels road force balanced 3X, and alignment done 1x....being that I have never been in another Boxster, I was thinking it was more of a learning curve than anything structural...you know ..wider wheels & tires, a more agressive vehicle than I am use too=better road feel? Does not seem to happen everytime I get to 60+ so it may just be the road surface I am on... NJ roads are a constant budget item at the state level.
I am interested in where this thread leads.....
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

Try a Roadforce (ridematch) wheel balancing on a GSP9700 Hunter balancer... Often takes care of those vibrations that occur during certain speed ranges, that normal wheel balancers don't address...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #4

Do tires normally go out of balance over time?

I have access to an Audi dealership that has a hunter GSP. I had my bimmer (2005 325i) balanced and the place didn't use the Hunter. I heard it makes a big difference. Because of 14000 psi they use to put 'road force' on the tire.
2001boxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #5

Yes, it's perfectly normal for the wheel/tire to go out of balance after time and driving... many factors can contribute to that... the GSP9700 can make a huge difference for scenarios like the one you are describing... Worth a shot if you have access to one.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #6

Garage
My '00S with 39k has a shimmy in the steering wheel right at 60 mph. I bought it from a Porsche dealer who supposedly had gone through everything on it. Any slower or faster it goes away. I just figured the same thing..... different car, wide tires etc. I don't worry about it because it is pretty faint...

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #7

I think you might find it's a CV joint going, but my reasoning could be a bit of a stretch...

Many years ago I had a '67 Pontiac Laurentian, and it had a vibration in the steering wheel between the speeds of 55 and 65 mph, and at no other speed than that. I had no idea what was causing it until one day my rear (fortunately!) u-joint snapped. I went to Can-Ti and got another one and did the repair on the sidewalk right where the car died. I sure couldn't afford a tow truck back in those days. Anyway, after the repair the vibration was gone.

So like I said, comparing the u-joints of an old 60's car to the CV's of a much newer Porsche might be a bit of a stretch, but it wouldn't hurt to check them out.

Mark