Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #1

Passenger door won't open from inside

Hey everyone, I recently changed the window regulator on the passenger door, and shortly after doing this repair the passenger door started to not open (at first it was once in awhile, now it does it all the time). When I pull the handle, the window does not go down and the door's latch does not come out allowing the door to open.

First of all, I'm thinking this is an electrical failure since a mechanical failure at the latch would still let the window go down. By the way the window works perfectly with the window switch, so its not my window regulator/motor that's gone bad.

Can anyone identify what it could be?

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #2

let me be the first to chime in. I went down this road just a month ago - not exactly the same road and also note that this is a very green mechanic's recollection of 2001 boxster - - - so beware there may be lots of bad information.

You did not specify whether the problem is only with the inside handle, outside or both.
During my tear down of the door mechanism i found that the opening of the door is initiated by releasing a spring loaded latch within the door mechanism and this release is via all mechanical connection. The end to end mechanical connection does includes a motor driven worm gear piece which acts as lock/unlock link. if this motor/worm gear is broken and is sitting in the locked position, both inside/outside door handles have no effect. the door will not open, the window will not drop - but if this is the case, the alarm system should see an error and light up the LED on the lock/unlock button. is your car behaving so?
if the mechanism is fully connected and you can hear the motor when you push the lock button, then maybe a spring in the latch mechanism is broken so that the latch does not spring free. Under this condition, I can envison the alarm system thinking that all is OK but that the door is jammed shut by something preventing it from opening. but the window should roll down.
you may have the same problem that I had, which was bad solder of the connector leads in the printed wiring board inside the door mechanism.
I had the battery connected during my door panel removal (with the airbag looking directly at my face) and when i tried to remove the harness, the window started acting up. I took the door mechanism off and resoldered the joints.

good luck
Tad

Last edited by sb01box; 08-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
let me be the first to chime in. I went down this road just a month ago - not exactly the same road and also note that this is a very green mechanic's recollection of 2001 boxster - - - so beware there may be lots of bad information.

You did not specify whether the problem is only with the inside handle, outside or both.
During my tear down of the door mechanism i found that the opening of the door is initiated by releasing a spring loaded latch within the door mechanism and this release is via all mechanical connection. The end to end mechanical connection does includes a motor driven worm gear piece which acts as lock/unlock link. if this motor/worm gear is broken and is sitting in the locked position, both inside/outside door handles have no effect. the door will not open, the window will not drop - but if this is the case, the alarm system should see an error and light up the LED on the lock/unlock button. is your car behaving so?
if the mechanism is fully connected and you can hear the motor when you push the lock button, then maybe a spring in the latch mechanism is broken so that the latch does not spring free. Under this condition, I can envison the alarm system thinking that all is OK but that the door is jammed shut by something preventing it from opening. but the window should roll down.
you may have the same problem that I had, which was bad solder of the connector leads in the printed wiring board inside the door mechanism.
I had the battery connected during my door panel removal (with the airbag looking directly at my face) and when i tried to remove the harness, the window started acting up. I took the door mechanism off and resoldered the joints.

good luck
Tad
I thought my title was descriptive enough :P. The outside handle works perfectly, the window comes down and the door opens without any issues. From the inside, the window does not roll down and the door does not open. I'm suspecting that the wire that connects to this interior handle got cut during my repair of the window (I finished at 11 PM after hours of work, and probably didn't take as much care as I should have re-installing the door trim).

Anyway, I'll have to take the door apart sooner or later and inspect for any issues.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #4

Guess I didn't read the original post well.
your car may have similar problem that mine had, bad solder joints between the connector and the printed wiring board in the door mechanism. Hopefully it's not your harness bundle.
when you get into the door and determine that it is the door mechanism, see if there's a bad solder joint - it may only need re soldering.
Bad solder joint photo is from my car.

Last edited by sb01box; 08-06-2010 at 05:59 AM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote