Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Brake pads

I asked this question a short while ago (in another brake thread) but got no answer...so I'll ask it again.

I had some work done on the Box a few weeks ago and the guy let me know the back brakes (esp outside pad, passenger-side) were near ready for replacing. I had just that wheel off a few days later and measured that pad: it's at about 4 mm, so I guess he's right. My front pads are in better shape: they have maybe 40% left.

If I just do the rears for now, is it bad to switch away from OEM pads for just the rears and leave the OEMs on front?? (If I switch, I would of course plan on switching the fronts to the same type pad when the time comes.)

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #2

Depends on what kind of pad your planning on installing. You do not want grippier (a technical term) pads on the rear than in the front. However a lot of track guys put higher grip pads on the front than the rear.
nylart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #3

Boxster S has one of the best brake setup and consistently gets shortest braking distance test on C&D/R&T/Consumer Reports. There's little reason to use aftermarket stuff unless you're looking for something with higher operating temperature - ie. take your car to the track or do auto-x. You'll also lose the ability to use the brake pad wear sensors.

Also, the rears only do 20% of the braking anyways, you don't have to replace all four corners unless they're all worn.

Last edited by ekam; 08-02-2010 at 10:03 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Stock pads work great for most applications including infrequent track days on street tires. Texar and Mintex offer OEM quality pads for less $$ and are fine for street use. Running different pads front and rear is done often in racing as a simple way to move your brake bias forward/aft. For normal street use using similar pads is recommended.

If you switch to comp tires and carry a lot of speed at track days you may want to use a high temp pad such as Pagid or Raybestos. They are a lot more $$ and are not as street friendly but hold up to abuse pretty well. I ran Pagid yellow on the front last year and ran 15 track days on them. They worked well at temp but seemed to deposit goo on the rotors that caused brake judder. I recently switched to Raybestos ST-43 on the recommendation of a Boxster long time hot shoe. Two track days and so far so good.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #5

I have the Mintex on my 2000 S and they stop fine. Price is very reasonable.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote