Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

2K Boxster drinking coolant

I just bought a used boxster with 63K...4 weeks ago. Temp light came on the other day, check and added coolant. Car is running between 180 and 200 within 30 minutes of driving in traffic. Don't hear the fans coming on at this temp. Filled up the coolant to max and it is back to min after 30 minutes of driving? Where should I start?

pamburriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #2

how much coolant did it take ? perhaps a visit to a repair shop and test for a leak
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

first off, welcome to 986forum.com and congrats on your new Boxster

Where to start...

Well, there are numerous spots. Some obvious, others not so obvious.

Do you know if the coolant tank (common weak point) or coolant itself (as part of a flush) was recently replaced? If so, and no outward signs of coolant leaks, it could simply be air pockets being flushed from the system. In total, the Boxster's coolant capacity (50/50 coolant/distilled water) is ~ 5-6 gal. It takes special vacuum equipment or patience following the correct procedure to bleed air from the cooling system when fluid has been changed.

If no to above, look for a couple of trouble areas:
- is carpet in rear trunk wet? Pull it up to double check too
- do you smell coolant after driving (think maple syrup-like sweet smell)?
- any leaks from directly under front bumper (left or right side)?
- any fluid on ground in front of passenger side rear tire?
- any white residue on coolant cap or black shield near fill tank in rear trunk?
- if you remove coolant cap (when vehicle is cool) and oil filler cap, you can pry up the plastic piece which surrounds both. Any sign of white residue/dried coolant around relief valve (black round piece w/ ~ 10 bolt heads around it and a large paperclip looking thing on top)?
- tell us what the part # is listed on your coolant cap (specifically 2 digits after 3 .)
It should be 996.106.447.?? (??=00, 01, 02, 03, or 04)

and finally:
- does it still look like just coolant/water in the reservoir tank?
- pull oil dip stick (if pre 2005 model) and make sure no 'chocolate milk' like sludge on dipstick or even in oil filler neck.

Let us know what you find/know here and we'll be able to point you in a better direction.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

The first place to start is to look for a leaky coolant tank and the lines from and to the coolant tank. It's pretty well documented here so I suggest searching for it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #5

It's me...

Hey Pam, I just registered here also...
I found this too... (Phillip)
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/tech9-03-2003.htm

There is a specific way to add the coolant per the article above...
I think we should try that plus if I can get my hands on a pressure tester I can do that too.
pasjr1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Temperature range under normal summer driving in the South is 190 to 200. If it goes over 200 you need a flush and system check.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #7

respond boxster drinking coolant

I just have to say how amazing you guys are, so helpful and so much valuable information!!! It is nice to know you guys are out there offering up so much advise.

I pulled up the carpet and yes, there is alot of coolant floating around, obviously it is leaking out under pressure. My buddy has a Carrera and he had to replace his reservoir so it looks like that is the problem.

Thanks so much for all the response. :ah:
pamburriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #8

Hi Pam-

Well, it's not the best news but it certainly could be A LOT worse too. Though it isn't the easiest DIY, plenty of others have been down your road before so it's a well documented procedure w/ pictures. Replacement on the Boxster is a little cumbersome due to placement but here's a good DIY w/ pics etc. courtesy of Pedro's Garage

Coolant Tank R&R Courtesy of Pedrosgarage.com

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #9

Just started to have coolant leak out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
first off, welcome to 986forum.com and congrats on your new Boxster

Where to start...

Well, there are numerous spots. Some obvious, others not so obvious.

Do you know if the coolant tank (common weak point) or coolant itself (as part of a flush) was recently replaced? If so, and no outward signs of coolant leaks, it could simply be air pockets being flushed from the system. In total, the Boxster's coolant capacity (50/50 coolant/distilled water) is ~ 5-6 gal. It takes special vacuum equipment or patience following the correct procedure to bleed air from the cooling system when fluid has been changed.

If no to above, look for a couple of trouble areas:
- is carpet in rear trunk wet? Pull it up to double check too No fluid at carpet
- do you smell coolant after driving (think maple syrup-like sweet smell)? Yes, can smell the it when car is stopped after running.
- any leaks from directly under front bumper (left or right side)? No, none seen at front of car.
- any fluid on ground in front of passenger side rear tire? Yes, this is where the majority is dripping out. I have a small pool of it forming here.
- any white residue on coolant cap or black shield near fill tank in rear trunk? No. None seen
- if you remove coolant cap (when vehicle is cool) and oil filler cap, you can pry up the plastic piece which surrounds both. Any sign of white residue/dried coolant around relief valve (black round piece w/ ~ 10 bolt heads around it and a large paperclip looking thing on top)?
- tell us what the part # is listed on your coolant cap (specifically 2 digits after 3 .)
It should be 996.106.447.?? (??=00, 01, 02, 03, or 04)

and finally:
- does it still look like just coolant/water in the reservoir tank? Yes.. Only coolant and oil is fine.
- pull oil dip stick (if pre 2005 model) and make sure no 'chocolate milk' like sludge on dipstick or even in oil filler neck. No chocolate milk look. Seen that before in another car so I know how it looks.. that sux.

Let us know what you find/know here and we'll be able to point you in a better direction.

I have leaking coolant as well. Noticed it low saw I added coolant and water after a 5hr drive. Car not overheating. After putting more in, I drove to the gym and back, could smell the coolant. That night the dripping started. Haven't driven in 2 days, but coolant/water still leaking. answered in RED to the questions above..

Thoughts....
Thank you

Last edited by xadrenaline; 07-23-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Cahnge color font
xadrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote