Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Need help -- get Nitto Invo tire, or Michelin PS2 at twice the cost?

I've got a 2007 Boxster S which I've been thoroughly enjoying for the past 3 1/2 years. Time to replace the rear tires. So far I've always replaced the tires with the Michelin PS2's. A friend has highly recommended I try the Nitto Invo at half the price (and he says the same performance.)

At www.discounttiredirect.com the two tires both get four out of five stars rating.

Also, I'd be replacing the rear tires ONLY, as the front tires still have lots of miles to go!!!

So what say you all?????

Bi-Xenon / Heated Seats / 19" Turbo Wheels
Windstop Deflector / Sports Chrono Package +
Bose High End Sound / Chrome Exhaust
Thick Steering Wheel
Spy4cia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Pat

Skip the Invo. Good tires, but there are better ones out there for that price. Check out Sumitomo HTRZIII. Probably closer in performance to the PS2 than the Invo.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #3

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #4

i just got the sumitomos and am not sure how i feel about them yet. just driving around they feel softer than the potenzas i replaced. they are quieter but that's not my main concern. i know most people who have switched to the sumitomos have given good reviews.

BUT if you're just replacing the rears and leaving the fronts alone keep the same tire. you can ask the tire place to give you the two front ( which i did ) in case you want to switch back then you only need to buy 2 more tires.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 06-30-2010 at 03:59 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #5

Never mismatch front & rear tires.

Bite the bullet and buy another rear pair of PS2, once the front gets worn the same as the rear replace all 4 with Dunlop Z1 Star Spec.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #6

Since they don't have the size of the Z1 Star Spec I need...

...which is closest that will fit?

My current tires are:

FRONT: 235 / 35 ZR19
REAR: 265 / 35 ZR19

THANKS...............
Bi-Xenon / Heated Seats / 19" Turbo Wheels
Windstop Deflector / Sports Chrono Package +
Bose High End Sound / Chrome Exhaust
Thick Steering Wheel
Spy4cia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #7

Garage
I just replaced the Pirelli Neros N rated ones I had with a full set of Hankooks Evo V12s. Extremely pleased with them. All 4 for $600.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #8

Agree with Ekam, you need to change out all 4 if you plan on going with a diffrent brand.

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #9

i have the htzr II sumitomo's and they handle well.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #10

PS2 s are so overpriced like porsches . I think hankook make's a better tire
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Never mismatch front & rear tires.
Can you explain why this is important? Logically, side to side tire differences could cause handling issues, but front and back? If the rears are worn, they're already different than the fronts. What harm is it to put new ones on the back and wait to get full usage from the front before replacing them.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret
Can you explain why this is important? Logically, side to side tire differences could cause handling issues, but front and back? If the rears are worn, they're already different than the fronts. What harm is it to put new ones on the back and wait to get full usage from the front before replacing them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=31

"How many tires do I need?

Since tires affect the personality and performance of your vehicle, all four tires should be as identical as possible or handling problems may arise. If your tires don't match, it is possible that one end of your vehicle won't respond as quickly or completely as the other, making it more difficult to control.

A PAIR OF TIRES?

If two of your tires have a lot of remaining tread depth, but you need to replace the other two because they were damaged or have worn out, you should replace them with a pair of tires that come as close as possible to matching your existing tires. While identical new tires are desirable, others of the same size and type can also provide good results. Only consider selecting new tires that are from the same tire category as your existing tires. New tires should be installed on the rear axle."
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #13

Ok, what I get from that is: tires on one end should match general category as the other end, but that's a long way from "Never mismatch front & rear tires."
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Ok, what I get from that is: tires on one end should match general category as the other end, but that's a long way from "Never mismatch front & rear tires."
It's the unpredictability and the mismatch handling characteristics of the front & the back tires that's the issue. Why are you not matching them, unless the tires are discontinued. For many people, it's money, but I never could figure out why people want to save money on a safety item.

Imagine driving in wet or icy conditon and unexpectedly losing and regaining either front or rear grip. Are you ready to handle your car in that condition in a narrow road or on the busy interstate? Not saying that's going to happen tomorrow when you take your car out but that's why they call it accidents.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #15

I don't think it's an economic issue necessarily. Tire selection in general is always a compromise taking into account all of the conditions that will be experienced. The best dry tires are not the best in rain and vice versa. Four identical summer tires are not going to help you on that icy patch.

As an experienced auto-crosser I've slid from one end on one turn and the other end on the next with four identical tires. Unfortunately there is no tire combination that can compensate for driver error.

There is no excuse for driving on inferior or damaged equipment at any time but its been my experience that two brands of matching tires of similar specification on opposite ends do not adversely effect handling.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't think it's an economic issue necessarily. Tire selection in general is always a compromise taking into account all of the conditions that will be experienced. The best dry tires are not the best in rain and vice versa. Four identical summer tires are not going to help you on that icy patch.

As an experienced auto-crosser I've slid from one end on one turn and the other end on the next with four identical tires. Unfortunately there is no tire combination that can compensate for driver error.

There is no excuse for driving on inferior or damaged equipment at any time but its been my experience that two brands of matching tires of similar specification on opposite ends do not adversely effect handling.
Each tires have its own limit on wet/dry/cold/warm/icy/snowy conditions, not to mention different wear levels and there's already so many variables out there, using mismatch tires just throws another unknown variable out there that will effect handling that can be minimized. It's fine if you want to play with different tires at auto-x or at the track, but on the street there's very little room for error when you have other cars around you. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by ekam; 07-02-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #17

I had the same dilemma....... This time buy the Michs. Since rears outwear the fronts 2-1, replace them all with a suitable and cheaper alternative as suggested by posters above. Don't mix brands, etc.
That's what I'm doing when my Contis wear out this time. I don't drive wild enough to justify overpriced tires on a car that gobbles them up too soon.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #18

Garage
Don't mix and match different brands and/or models of tires. As some of the members have indicated, tires have certain characteristics that are unique and peculiar to themselves alone. I agree, that you should either replace just the tires that are worn with the same brand and model, or opt for 4 new tires that are the same. I would caution you to steer clear of the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Despite their good performance, they produce a
ride that is harsh enough to knock your dental work out. Furthermore, they were a bastard to road force balance . In fact, on a couple of occasions 2 out of the 4 tires where so far out of "spec" that they would not balance within acceptable figures and consequently had to be replaced . Unfortunately, Goodyear only agreed to warranty 1 of them .
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #19

I call BS on the alarmism about mixed tires. The front and rear are of a different size on these cars anyway. Sure, there may be some incremental change in the balance of how the car behaves and I would like a matched set of all four for extreme conditions, as going to the track - but for street traffic, where at least I never go anywhere near such margins that this would be significant, I'll happily be e.g. replacing worn rear tires before the front tires.

The safety rules for this would be not to mix on the same axle and not to have significantly worse shape tires in the rear than up front so as to avoid surprising oversteer.

edit: oops, didn't note the dates. Sorry for kicking a dead horse.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #20

The manufacturer, retailer (Tire Rack) or you the driver can neither predict or explain the handling of your car if you mix brands. A great tire may be on a car that handles terrible or a crappy tire may work surprising well. These combos have not been evaluated or tested, so it's anyone's guess how well or safe the car will perform. Yrs ago grandpa bought any tire that was on sale and bought 1,2, 4 or whatever and didn't have a problem. But all tires were crappy then and he wasn't driving a performance sports car (not my gramps anyhow). Dad always bought recapped snows for the rear. That was common and worked fine.