Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #21

LOL..same here..it's all good

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #22

I do believe the Boxster 986's will be worth money in the next 30 years. Good luck keeping one that long. when I bought mine I was very picky about everything being original and the inside being mint. I will always try to keep all original parts and keeps numbers matching God willing. I am going to have the motor rebuilt at 100k and do any refining and refinishing at that time. By that time I will be able to purchase another without finacing and will go for a much newer model under warranty and I am parking the 986 and saving it for the weekend drives. Funny you guys talking about this because this has been my plan from the beginning. Hopefully one day you will see a 99 boxster with plates that say MAUIBOX selling on Mecums or Barretts for 100k Plus. :dance:
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #23

By the way if history repeats itself than the original 2000 Boxster S with rare options will most likely be the "car to have"
Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #24

[QUOTE=Boxtaboy]Haha. I was just kiddin. I just knew Extanker had a TIP, so was poking fun at him. It's all good.[/QUOTEi have the PDK ...i can park in front
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
porsche986

the boxster 986 years 97-2005 are outstanding shape and design.
this was my dream many years ago when I first bought it, a 1998 for £31,400 driving home was something special noone had one
now I have a RUF 996 black monster, but still always will keep the boxster the 987 does nothing for me.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #26

I love them both.... they are my favorite and second favorite cars in the world... but I agree the 986 is the purest expression of a roadster.

The Boxster's evolution reminds me of the original Nissan Z. The 986 is a lot like the 240z. It's smaller, lighter, slower, simpler, less refined than the 260z or 280z that followed.... but somehow the 240z is the purest expression of a sports car.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
[QUOTE=extanker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Haha. I was just kiddin. I just knew Extanker had a TIP, so was poking fun at him. It's all good.[/QUOTEi have the PDK ...i can park in front
LOL. In front of the dumpster?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
LOL. In front of the dumpster?
and i treat it like a dumpster...i was taking a nap [old people do this] and my wife woke me up to find my keys because it was starting to rain and my windows are just about always down ...she says never mind ...she rembered i leave the keys on the floor
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #29
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
and i treat it like a dumpster...i was taking a nap [old people do this] and my wife woke me up to find my keys because it was starting to rain and my windows are just about always down ...she says never mind ...she rembered i leave the keys on the floor
Hey, at least she was watchin after ya. You have a good wife Tanker.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #30
Pat

While I'm glad many of you are so fond of your cars, I can't say I'm in the same boat. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my Boxster. Great car. Not really much to criticize. Porsche did a lot right with it.
That said, I don't think I would call it "classic" or think it will ever be collectible. The performance is nothing crazy, either. I do think it's got a great fun factor, but c'mon guys, it's not like a supercar or something. Aren't new Camrys as fast in a straight line? And it's not like they're rare or something.
I don't mean to rain on your parade. Like I said, I love my car and I'm glad you all love yours. But tossing around words like classic and collectible is a bit of a stretch IMO.
Cheers!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #31

I spent over 2 years shopping, testing, driving and weighing all the options, FOR ME, and I must say there is not a single point of the 986 I prefered.
I would rather have had (and almost did) a standard 987 over a 986 S. It is a superior car, again, in my opinion. The 987 is so much more sophisticated in every category, it made the 986 feel dated and cramped in the interior.
Coming from the performance mid-engined cars I raced for years, I feel I have a bit of "expertise" in mid-engine balance, and again, I prefered the 987.
When it comes to you youngsters talking about the 986 headlights looking "more Porsche" I have to roll on the floor laughing.
My first Porsche was a '64 356 Cabrio and I had several 911's in between (as well as pop-up lights 914s, and a 944) and I have to tell you, those "sat on by the singing fat lady" 986/996 headlights took me a LONG time to accept.
987 headlights look like REAL Porsches!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
A Boxster isn't going to sell at a car auction for millions of dollars. But just like the 914, people like them and will want to buy them in future. A nice 914 will sell for about $10+k today, they cost about $2500 new.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #33

I have a 02 S. I got rid of the amber all around and put the VarioCam Plus motor (3.4L) in it, so I think I have the best of both worlds.
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
While I'm glad many of you are so fond of your cars, I can't say I'm in the same boat. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my Boxster. Great car. Not really much to criticize. Porsche did a lot right with it.
That said, I don't think I would call it "classic" or think it will ever be collectible. The performance is nothing crazy, either. I do think it's got a great fun factor, but c'mon guys, it's not like a supercar or something. Aren't new Camrys as fast in a straight line? And it's not like they're rare or something.
I don't mean to rain on your parade. Like I said, I love my car and I'm glad you all love yours. But tossing around words like classic and collectible is a bit of a stretch IMO.
Cheers!

what you say is true to an extent. but an example would be like a 356. not fast by any means but yet very collectible. as far as the amount produced yes there are alot. but then again corvettes fetch some very high amounts at auctions and they too are very common.

now im not saying the 986 will be like the 356 or a classic vette. but what I am saying is that it isnt always about performance or amount originally produced.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #35

thats what peole said about the Shelby Cobra....By the way SuperCars start off high and go lower typically. The cars that go up in value are the ones that typically start off relatively low and become collectable by a love of them....hmmmm I love mine what about you guys?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
A Boxster isn't going to sell at a car auction for millions of dollars. But just like the 914, people like them and will want to buy them in future. A nice 914 will sell for about $10+k today, they cost about $2500 new.
Exactly. I think Boxsters that were sold new for 40-50k will fetch 100k in 20-30 years for the "good" ones.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #37

Admittedly, trying to pick future collectables is like trying to read Tea Leaves.

But, there are several good indicators such as Brand, Convertibles, 1st Gen (Think Pontiac Tempest/GTO, '64,'65 Mustangs, early vs. late BMW 2002's, etc.). Low production - Lotus Elans now in the mid-$20's and Elites in the $75-$90k range. And then there is the unknown factor - who would ever have thought that VW Beetles would go in the $30-$40k range, or that Ramblers would ever see the far side of $20k?

But, there are also two distinct types of collectibles; Investment potential (which are few) and collectible drivers for the masses (think Mustangs, MGB's, Triumphs, assorted muscle, original Mini's, etc.).

In most cars with potential, there comes a point where the depreciation bottoms out, and after a few years, the good original examples and those which are restored tend to start to climb in value.

Investment? Well not in the true sense because even if you sell for more than you paid, what would have been the return if that money were placed in other intsruments for the same period of time? Again, a bit of Tea Leaf reading here too.

But, imagine all the things you own and use and being able to sell them later for more than you paid? You'd have essentially gotten their use for free.

The early Boxsters have to be at or near the bottom of their depreciation curve - the right time to buy. Then, imagine that VW/Audi/Porsche decides to kill production in 2016 as has been mentioned - even in Panorama, not at all an unreal scenario given the 914, 924, 944 and 928. Now Boxsters are available only in limited numbers. Now suppose something like a popular movie incorporates one or it appears in some other aspect of future Popular Culture. This would also fuel demand and raise prices.

I'm not saying to liquidate your retirement savings and fill a warehouse with 1st Gen Boxsters now that they are on the cheap. But, one of the guys interested in my Boxster describes his use as a sunny sunday driver w/ less than 2k mi./yr. Given it's curent shape and low miles, if that guy maintains it and decides to sell it in 10 yrs. or so, I'm certain he'll make out pretty well. I too have considered simply retiring it, properly mothballing it and waiting 10 yrs. or so. But, my main issue is one of space which I am now out of. Were I to pay to store it, any future appreciation would be gobbled up by the storage charges. But for the right buyer, it's a pretty safe bet they'll get their money back in future years and have a nice Sunday droptop to play with in the meantime.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 06-30-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #38

Yes, those headlamps are terrible
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiboxster
Exactly. I think Boxsters that were sold new for 40-50k will fetch 100k in 20-30 years for the "good" ones.

LOL - Let me know how that works out for ya.

Until then I'll take either Boxster to drive and enjoy as often as I can and not worry about what it might sell for, for someone else a long time from now.

Or, who knows, maybe some decade from now I'll buy your "good" one to help me re-live memories I'm creating today. Please keep up w/ the maintenance for me will ya?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #40

I think, and certainly hope, that we're now seeing the floor for strong running and mechanically sound 986 Boxsters. They are out of production and replaced by a superior successor, the 987 (at least on paper). The fleet is aging, but not so aged that these are starting to become scarce, so I really think this is the absolute floor for these cars. Any car produced that has a Porsche badge on it will be considering collectible or at least "a nice car" as long as combustion engines are still on the road and not perceived as antiquated junk (think how many horse buggy shows are there?). Anyone picking up a nice, clean, mechanically sound 986 for 10k-14k or less only takes on the risk that they will have to replace the motor. With a brand new motor, you should be able to get most of that money back either with increased car lifespan or by reselling. The prices on the 986s can't go down any more because there is just simply too much fun to be had and too much in the box to watch the price go down any more. Collectible? Probably not in the sense of the other big names, but if you catch one in the sweet spot of the depreciation curve, you have very decent odds of breaking even in the short-term and possibly coming out ahead in the long term. Which is so much more than you can say about 95% of the other cars on the road.

For me, I'll drive and fix it until I get bored. If/when that happens if it's not worth selling, I'll cover it and remember the good times.