Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #21

Why think about it (IMS fail) when for $1200 you can do something about it.
Seems to be that would be the first I would do after buying. Before even a tune up and not matter what was going on with the clutch as far as wear.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #22

Garage
Slipped sleeve--right?

What was your build date? The time frame in question is 10/98--3/99 when the sleeved motors were built.
As others have said, a lawsuit pursuing a remedy 10 years after the car was built seems doomed to failure. Think about a used engine..
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928
no way! if it happens, it happens. i drive the car the way Porsche made it to be driven.

what are you gonna do, leave it in the garage and sit in front of it with your head between your knees?

Exactly Dave, thank you! The IMS "sky is falling" worry makes about as much sense as obsessing about the possibilites of cancer.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #24

look at this as an opportunity to upgrade.

If you like your car AND it is in great shape - be honest with yourself, it is not worth putting a new motor in a car that needs other repairs- Then sell your core to someone like Raby or junk yard or people that rebuild these things.

If you are not hung up on your car, Get a used motor (4000) from a yard like LA dismantalers or simular and drop in a new motor. Sell the car at that point to recover some money- be honest about the motor.

If you want to keep it, then Raby is the only one I have ever heard of that can put a new motor in and keep this type of thing from happening again. However be prepared to spend more on the motor than the car is worth. That is why you will keep it...It will be better than before and you will get years and years of fun out of it.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm
Lately after the car sits for a week I have a rattle for about 5 seconds after start up. It's not a heat shield type rattle.

So I have taken the following start up procedure...Start the car. rattle starts, shut off car, wait 10 seconds, re-start car. Rattle all gone.

Drive car...enjoy car !

Do I think about IMS failure? Sure, and it bothers me a little 'cause it does sometimes take the fun out of the car. Do I love it less...no.

I leave Friday for Watkins Glen for the IndyCar race. Guess what I'm driving.
I have this same rattle not sure what it is come from under the back right side of the car , I am sure its next to the muffler.......
livin_in_a_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm
10W40 Redline ??

I have 6 gallons of Redline 40wt Race oil I would love to use, but the race oil is non-detergent
I believe they make a 5W-40 for Euro specs.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosickjg
Got my 2.5L 1999 Boxster engine with 75100 miles on it apart today. Didn't take long to figure out what was wrong......
Is there a class action lawsuit against Porsche yet for this? I've seen this type of cylinder failure on many websites now..

Here is a list of factory re-manufactured motors on SALE from EBS.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/550426-boxster-996-997-engine-sale.html
Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #28
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I believe they make a 5W-40 for Euro specs.
Thanks ! I had ordered the 10w40 from Racer Parts Wholesale last night and managed to catch the order and change it to the 5w40 this morning.

kpm is offline   Reply With Quote