Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #21

...and yeah, it doesn't have to be all the time to be the same issue. The time it happened to me, the plug (s) became slowly more loosened until it sounded like the video; however, in the beginning I only heard it at low speeds just after I was using the clutch. You can imagine the $$$ thoughts I was suffering.

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #22

okay , update. I have NOT tried to tighten the plugs... I've been so busy with work I hae hardly even had time to drive the car... it has sat for the past three weeks.. finally yesterday i took it to work / back.

I had the top down and noticed that the squeek was about the same, but this time, I noticed it m aybe once or twice when I went over a bump... before..it had only really done it when I was pulling away from a stop...

i swear I hear the teh same chirp noise when I hit a section of rough pavbement, and I was off the gas... which made me think maybe it's something in the suspension???

or the spark plug loosening thing could be it too and it is just getting looser?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #23

Best way to narrow it down is exclusion, instead of still looking for more sources, why not make the time to follow up on the ones proven to cause the noise in other vehicles?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #24

Did you ever find out what this was? I'm experiencing it too... doesn't sound quite like the videos I've seen of the loose spark plug noise, although I haven't checked that yet.
rodgling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #25
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
The OP has not been on the site since march of last year...I doubt you will hear from him.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #26

Good point :-( Oh well. Shouldn't be IMS for me as I had it preventatively replaced while getting the RMS done earlier in the year. Time will tell.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #27

squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgling View Post
Good point :-( Oh well. Shouldn't be IMS for me as I had it preventatively replaced while getting the RMS done earlier in the year. Time will tell.
Hi,

Have you found-out what causes this short squeak during acceleration?
I have the same issue. It seems to be getting worse, so any idea what this could be, would be very helpful..

Thanks.
remcovansoest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #28

No, never did get to the bottom of it. Still have the car, it's running fine - haven't noticed this in ages, either it's gone away or I've got used to it. I did wonder if it was a tiny exhaust leak.