Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: What color shall I wrap my vehicle?
Matte Grey 6 18.75%
Matte Black 10 31.25%
Matte Silver 12 37.50%
Other 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #21

Just spoke with a local installer about pricing and how high it was. He mentioned that there would soon be an inexpensive but quality option available using 3M adhesives.

Wraptivo News

Wraptivo

funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #22

Sorry to throw a dose of reality on this love fest, but the 986 has many compound curves that may not do well with a wrap. I had a reputable clear bra installer try 3 times to do the front of my 01S. Each time it came out with "age wrinkles" around the lower outside of the headlights. Not sure I'd want to drop 5 gir on a wrap and have it look like crap. My 08 LE has a clear bra but they (a different installer) got the curves smooth by doing spliced pieces. You can get away with that on a clear bra, but I'm not sure on a wrap.

OK, party on.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #23

^ I think the clear is a different animal from the vinly wrap. The wrap is not really protective in the same way, the clear bra has to be thicker and thus harder to mold. I saw the wrap on a NASCAR cup car up close a few times (once at the M&Ms candy store) and I noticed it was very thin, almost like stretching a hefty bag around a pizza box in some spots.
When I had the clear bra on my old bumper (before I upgraded to the GT3) it was much thicker...which I regret not doing again. I'm going to have to repaint while the clear bra eliminated nearly all the chipping.

The Purely Porsche magazine from the UK did a story on the chrome wrap for a 996 Turbo. They said it was a real pain in the arse to get all the little tiny curves, particular on the guy's rear spoiler. The result was amazing. He said he got the idea from the last McLaren F1 car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ I think the clear is a different animal from the vinyl wrap. The wrap is not really protective in the same way, the clear bra has to be thicker and thus harder to mold.
exactly. vinyl typically used for vehicles will stretch some in order to contour. Finding the right installer is key to avoid this:

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel
If you voted for other, please specify in the thread the color you voted for.

Decisions, decisions.. Either I opt for the vinyl wrap next month or the TPC turbo kit in September. In any regard, I will have them completed in time, but it is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils!
For what its worth, if it's between choosing the vinyl wrap, and the TPC turbo.. my vote for your car goes to the TPC turbo... All the way...

That would be so awesome!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #26

I would look at some wraps that have been done for a while. vinyl shrinks with time. seams start to lift etc. after a year to 3 years they can look pretty bad. not a problem if it's for advertising and it is still readable but not real pretty up close. I'd paint it. I've been doing vinyl signs for 16 years and I don't think you would be happy in the long run. just my 2 cents worth...
02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #27

Garage
I would tend to agree with 02Box. Before I spent thousands on having my vehicle "wrapped", I would want to know what the long term effects were going to be. It seems to me that the art of "wrapping" has not been around all that long. Personally, I would be curious to know what the quality of the material looked liked 2 or 3 years down the road after normal use.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I would tend to agree with 02Box. Before I spent thousands on having my vehicle "wrapped", I would want to know what the long term effects were going to be. It seems to me that the art of "wrapping" has not been around all that long. Personally, I would be curious to know what the quality of the material looked liked 2 or 3 years down the road after normal use.
This and a number of issues (quality, durability, etc) are what frighten me the most in wrapping my vehicle in vinyl, its longevity throughou the years. Granted I am taking this project with a grain of salt in finding the right company whom can give me the assurance I am looking for. I will drive or ship my vehicle to wherever need be, aslong as they are up to the task and suprass my every expectation. Painting the vehicle is not a bad idea at this point seeing that selling the car is not in the deck of cards for me, it is a vehicle I will keep for the rest of my life.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
For what its worth, if it's between choosing the vinyl wrap, and the TPC turbo.. my vote for your car goes to the TPC turbo... All the way...

That would be so awesome!
Wrapping the vehicle is on hold for the reaons I listed below, it is not a project I want to rush into at this point.

As far as the TPC turbo goes, I am on the fence at current due to the fact I will be off of probation tomorrow in light of a wreckless driving offense, and I am not to sure if I want to further subject myself to an additional sentence if I get caught speeding in excess of 100+ MPH by a smokey, again. To make a long story short, the day I had my ECU flashed with FVD Brombacher's tune, I punched it on a straight away at 120+ MPH and as the good lord would have it, an undercover was on my tail. I served two days in a county jail and a 6 month probation sentencing that could potentially incarcerate me for 6 months or the 90 days minimum if I recieved another ticket within the 6 month time frame.

2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote