Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

I have a hum or vibration that is intermittent

Hi,
I have a 2003 tip 2.7 and when driving along a slow speeds the area right at the gas lid hums really loudly. No where else.
My dealer said it might be a worn bearing but it is not steering related at all. It is more engine rpm related. It doesn't get worse. The dealer could make it happen so we couldn't fix it.
Does anyone have an idea?
Best to all.
James

James_Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

do a search, most of the time it ends up being the overflow for the gas filler - air gets under the gas lid and whistles as it goes over the hole...
Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #3

one of the symptoms of my rear hub going out was an intermittent vibration on the passagener side wind screen. If its a local event at the gas cap, it probably won't get worse. If the car needs new wheel bearings, you can be certain that it will become very obvious.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Knot
Hi,
... It is more engine rpm related. ...,,,
If that’s not a typo above, that’s motor related, not speed related as suggested here. Those would require your car to be moving and will occur, and or change (wheel bearing) volume with speed.

A whistle from fuel tank (interesting suggestion) would start at some speed and, remain the same pitch but get louder. Neither would be repeatable in your drive way. If it's RPM related it should be repeatable in your driveway.

Transmission bearings and gears can howl at both speed and rpms but should only happen at both speed and rpm. It will not be repeatable in the drive.

If it is a typo (ya' got a few ambiguities and seeming contradictions here“dealer could make it happen so we couldn't fix it”) the for-mention diagnosis are fair bets. Might do a few more test like the hill and driveway test and get back to us with more data and check your grammar (grin).

Regards,PK

BTW; My composition is horrible, I have to read and rewrite my post about 20 times or its garbage…dyslexia

Last edited by pk2; 06-14-2010 at 08:06 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
If it was a constant hum that was deafening and irritating all at once I'd say you've got one of those damn Vuvu horns from the World Cup stuck in there!

Hope you get your problem solved
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
pk2

Thats it! Mike have you looked on you roof to see if someone taped a vuvuu horn up there? Look under the wheel wells to.

P-