Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Broken Lock Cylinder

Hey guys,

today, when I locked my 986 the key got stuck in the driver's side lock. Tried to remove it from the lock but without success.
So, after dealing with the service manual, I was able to disassemble the door panel and get to the door lock from the inside.
It seems that something just broke inside the lock cylinder and the key is jammed.
After looking at the parts catalog I could not believe that the lock cylinders are not sold separately!
So, the replacement part number is 996 537 963 02 - support with lock cylinder without stipulated lock number (there are a few variations of this part, for stipulated lock numbers... whatever...)
Here is the price for the replacement part:

look here

At more than 200 bucks these do not go cheap.
And... it seems that I'm not the only one with this problem

Another guy with the same pain here (nice photo of the above referred part)

So, before I go and toast my money on these, does anyone have a suggestion?
Can this be found cheaper? Used?
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
Txs.

John

jmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #2

HI JOHN

same thing just happened to my 1999

how did you fix yours?

frank
FERRARIFRANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRARIFRANK
how did you fix yours?
Hi Frank,

sorry to know that you have the same problem on your 99 Boxster.
I did fix it by opening the lock cylinder (it's actually quite easy to disassemble). After opening it I found out that there was a specific part that was broken (if it helps I can look for the part and place a picture online).
So, all I needed was a replacement. Porsche did not sell it, so I tried other sources. I was lucky enough to find an exact match at a VW dealer, on a box of old parts. I don't know what car it came from but the guy that worked there told me that it was without a doubt from a VW. He actually gave me the part since it was surplus from the work they do on cars.
After assembling everything back I'm happy to say that it now works as new and that I never again had problems with the lock.
Best of luck to you.

John

Last edited by jmcl; 07-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.
jmcl is offline   Reply With Quote