Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Clutch hydraulic line unions

Any trick to taking them apart? It looks like it's just a matter of putting two wrenches on it, but it doesn't want to break free.

I need to replace the second section, and I'm trying to disconnect it from the first section under the hood, and from the third section under the car.

Mark

Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Di not attempt this without metric flare nut wrenches, or you will strip the flats on the fittings....................

Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #3

I do have the flare wrenches - had to buy a second 15mm for this job. I guess I'll just have to tug harder.

edit** the harder tug did the trick. I was just afraid of breaking something, but it's all good now.

Last edited by Mark_T; 06-10-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #4

Right, so I have the two sections of clutch line separated, but I need to get the threaded joint (999.230.541.10) off the old line. The line is held in there by a circlip (999.230.685.40).

The threaded joint doesn't come apart to allow access to the circlip so it can be removed neatly. I suppose I could assume that the circlip is a disposable and reach in there with needlenose pliers and rip it out. A new circlip is about $5, no biggy. The threaded joint, however, is over $120 so I'm really hoping that is not the replace-able bit.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on this? I'm kinda stumped here, and summer is slipping away.

Mark
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #5

Might have just had an epiphany here... the new section of clutch line I bought (it's the second section) came with a threaded joint screwed on the tail end, but the existing line that I will be attaching it to already has the threaded joint attached to it, left from the old piece I removed. So, I'm thinking that I take the new joint off the tail end and use it to replace the one I can't remove from the old line at the front end, and re-use the joint already in place at the back end, then it should all be good.

So, have I figured it out, or am I still out to lunch here?

Mark

ps. It is interesting to note that a new clutch line, complete with a threaded joint and circlip, costs less than buying just the threaded joint alone. How fk'd up is that?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #6

Yeah, I run into that all the time at work. With the pricing of individual parts, it's often not worth the labor of rebuilding ( industrial control valves ), you can buy the complete assembly for the same price or cheaper.
Steve.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Success

Worked on this all day. I finally found the part number to order these clips. I will update this when I get the line in.

Fularad is offline   Reply With Quote