Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

Getting to the engine with a gahh glass top. help

Ok so i went through some write ups and looked at pictures but, i know im doing it wrong. I want to lift the back of the top towards the front so i have the space to work. I was very annoyed at the fact that in every position i put the top in i still could not get the top to fold the way it needed to. My glass window kept hitting the roll bar and would not fold. So after about an 1 1/2 hr I gave up and had someone hold the top so i could get to the air filter. Someone has to have experience with this so any help with possible pics would be a big help. I got the job done but i want to know how to do it properly. I will post a pic of the of my top and if I am able properly do the job i will make a video and help every one else avoid this problem. I also want to clean the throttle body so I really need to know how to put it in the right position.
So ya thanks for any help.

Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

nope, that's pretty much it. the gahh does limit access somewhat. i found that if you fidget with the glass you can get it to sit on top of the roll bars and push it in just slightly, but it doesn't "fold" like the plastic does.

i had some luck with a bungee cord wrapped under the top, around the glass and across the top, hooked onto the front of the top. that was enough "push" on the glass to keep it out of the way.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

I did push the glass a little on top of the roll bar and then had someone hold it for me. Didn't have a bungi near by. But that seems odd, and unpractical. Still in the pics you put up it seems that you don't have the roll bar in place. so you might have a bit more room. Unless its the angle that the picture was taken from, but in any case that makes me feel a bit better. If you have a picture from the side of te car showing the space between the windshield and the front of the top that would be great. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post

i had some luck with a bungee cord wrapped under the top, around the glass and across the top, hooked onto the front of the top. that was enough "push" on the glass to keep it out of the way.
I do the same, but instead of a bungee, I use a cargo strap.

Access is limited more so than with the plastic window, but still workable. In fact, in the past 2-3 months I've had my glass window, and opened up the engine compartment 4-5 times, I gladly accept the access limitation for the benefit of the glass window. It really comes down to personal preference.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Garage
Is the Gahh window larger than the '03 stock? Mine fits nicely if you out the too side of the window down behind the rollbars, and use the attached strap (basically a bungee) to hold it by wrapping to the drivers side corner of the top. Basically, it sits vertically behind the rollbar.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

I saw a pic of a glass top folded vertically up against the roll bar, which i tried to do but failed. Im guessing that the gahh top glass is a bit bigger. As far as a strap anything will do to hold, i just was not in the mood to look around my garage for a strap. It was cold and I was tired. End result i like the way it sounds with the k&N filter. Don't car if it has side effects i felt the car run smoother and sound a bit better. Smoother because my old filter was a bit dirty. But any way, Lets se a side picture. that would defiantly be the best way to view this.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

i just stuck a paint stick stirrer, that you find at paint supply stores or home depot etc and used to to prop up the top. but i like the strap idea better. i too would be interested in seeing pics of where you hook onto with the straps.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
...i still could not get the top to fold the way it needed to. My glass window kept hitting the roll bar and would not fold. So after about an 1 1/2 hr I gave up .
Quote:
...i just was not in the mood to look around my garage for a strap.
Haha! Classic. I'm guilty of this too. Spending an hour and a half trying to get something 'to work' vs getting the proper tool to do the job. I don't know if it's based on laziness or stubborness. Either way, I've been guilty of this a time or two.

It's like when you spend time tossing your living room, looking for your remote, when all you had to do was walk over to the TV and change the channel.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
If you have a picture from the side of te car showing the space between the windshield and the front of the top that would be great. Thanks again.
i don't have a full side view, but here's the side view nearer the window. and my roll bars were not removed. i guess it was just the angle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986
I saw a pic of a glass top folded vertically up against the roll bar, which i tried to do but failed. Im guessing that the gahh top glass is a bit bigger.
actually the glass on the 2003+ is a little larger than the GAHH, but there's an extra rib in the top that allows it to fold up that cars before 2003 do not have. that's why some people replace the top with a top from a 2003+ to get the extra rip, instead of go with the GAHH top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S
Is the Gahh window larger than the '03 stock? Mine fits nicely if you out the too side of the window down behind the rollbars, and use the attached strap (basically a bungee) to hold it by wrapping to the drivers side corner of the top. Basically, it sits vertically behind the roll bar.
see above, but no, the glass is smaller than the '03 however the extra rib allows it to fold up. additionally, since 03 had the glass, porsche added the "strap" which older cars do not have.