Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 AM   #21

I didn't do the math, but it sounds reasonable. If your current car is reliable, and not costing you in unscheduled maintenance, it would allow the most $$$ to be saved. But if that's not the case, or you just can't stand driving it anymore, the Miata should be as inexpensive as possible (while still being reliable), so you can focus on your savings.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdonal86
crod, thanks for the advice. I hadn't quite heard it put that way (if you can't afford the IMS failure, don't buy it).

I am really afraid of something like that happening. Hell, the cost of that failure is almost like the cost of a getting another used Boxster!
Well I did not mean to scare you off.
The Boxster is indeed an amazing vehicle and puts an smile on my face every time I drive it. My previous Porsche, a 2006 Cayenne, would not put that smile the way the Boxster does. Again, great car to own and drive.
I do agree with others that Porsche sold hundreds of thousands of Boxsters worldwide and I can bet not even 1% had an IMS failure. And keep in mind if you get one and immediately replace the existing IMS with the retrofit kit, chances you will have an IMS failure will be extremely small. It is just a little bit more money upfront, that is all.
If you want to sleep better at night, buy the Boxster and do the IMS retrofit immediately. In my case I will wait until the clutch/RMS needs work and then do the IMS at the same time.
Again, chances you will ever have an IMS failure are slim. Keep that in mind!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #23

How much more difficult is DIY maintenance, given that it has a midship engine? I guess generally, my DIY maintenance has focused on brakes and suspension and interior electronics, etc.

It seems to me that if I had to do engine work, it would be very difficult! Hell, how do you even do an oil change in a Boxster?

I can normally do simple stuff myself (and stuff that is fairly well documented). I have changed driveshafts, brake pads, lower control arms, strut bars, shocks, upper strut mounts, etc. all by myself in the past. However, I'd rather not have to do that, and I doubt I would have to with a fairly new, low-mileage Boxster.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 06-08-2010 at 06:08 AM.
amcdonal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
How much more difficult is DIY maintenance, given that it has a midship engine? I guess generally, my DIY maintenance has focused on brakes and suspension and interior electronics, etc.

It seems to me that if I had to do engine work, it would be very difficult! Hell, how do you even do an oil change in a Boxster?

I can normally do simple stuff myself (and stuff that is fairly well documented). I have changed driveshafts, brake pads, lower control arms, strut bars, shocks, upper strut mounts, etc. all by myself in the past. However, I'd rather not have to do that, and I doubt I would have to with a fairly new, low-mileage Boxster.
From what I hear, working on the Boxster for what you mentioned (brakes, suspension, etc) is not that hard at all and it is well documented on the Bentley's book/bible.

Engine wise, if you are really good with mechanical things you, with proper guidance, can probably even rebuild a 986 engine. I remember a thread here a couple months ago where a dude from Scotland rebuilt his engine completely (he is now my hero and I even have a picture frame on my bed with his photo), all done at home. I knew these Scotchs were crazy but not that crazy!

Honestly I do not find the Boxster that expensive to maintain at all. The guy that works on mine, for example, charges $450 on labor to do the clutch/RMS work. Parts would run you $450. So $900 for a major thing I think. Not bad at all, especially considering you will probably not be doing this every year (my Cayenne I put close to 50,000 miles and never changed the clutch - it was still in great shape when I sold it).

If you can do the other stuff like brakes, suspension, oil change, etc it will definitely be much cheaper to run the car. Parts are not bad at all and there are many shops online with decent prices.

Go for it man. You will not regret it. It is a great car and a chick magnet.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #25

A Miata?

I dunno, dude. That would be like riding a scooter while you save up for a Harley.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #26

Why does the 987 require so many oil changes? I usually go up to 10k miles with synthetic without any problems on my DD!
amcdonal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #27

Well if you plan to keep the car until the 90K mile mark you have to remember there is maintenance and then there is major maintenance.
Oil changes, air filters, tires are not bad for this car given the rewards.
When it comes time to change shocks, clutch/flywheel, IMS, service axle boots, rotors, 02 sensors, parts that fail prematurely (starter, alternator), etc. that can add up to a figure north of $6K. If you aren't setting a little aside for major maintenance in addition to annual maintenance then you're going to have to break open a few piggy banks. It's best to tackle one big item each each year in addition to the regular maintenace...spread the hurt.
I spent about $6K on major maintenance recently and it was well worth it because this is car to keep for the long haul. The engine still sings, the paint still shines and I still get at least one compliment per drive on a car whose design is 17 years old.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #28

To keep things in perspective, IIRC you did quite a bit of "voluntary" work that many people won't do arbitrarily, such as the IMS upgrade,starter, & alternator, to add up to that $6,000. Also, depending on which year 987, there won't be the option of an IMS upgrade. You can also choose to replace the car before the 90-100K mark.

The 986/987's still have the factory extended change intervals ( IIRC 12-15K or 1 year? ), but many people choose the do a more frequent 5K change to help engine longevity, (aka. cheap insurance!).
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Yes you can, if....the tires are in excellent condition and the car has been maintained. Oil changes are about $120 by the dealer, DIY about $70. Air filter/cabin filter about $40 bucks and a DIY. You will need a set of pads before 60K, Porsche, Padgett high dollars, Mintex pads very reasonable for about $120 for all 4 wheels. Major service at 60K, about $1200 from the dealer, but you can DIY yourself for a couple of $100 bucks. Tires $600 to $800 when they need replacing. Now, what if somethings breaks...you just don't know and I take the attitude...DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY. The Boxster is an amazing and fun car to drive.
:dance:

don't let the car sit or it really will cost you for repairs.

You will go through a set of rear tires in 10-20k miles. If you get sumi's the rears should cost less than 400. Everything else you can do yourself and save a ton of money, it's very easy. Just don't be in a hurry.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #30

Quote:

you will be fine. the only normal maintenance things you will need to pay for are alignment and ac service. Everything else you will be able to do, i have confidence in you if you have indeed performed these repairs.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #31

Here's a couple of sites to help you for DIY.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/

www.pedrosgarage.com

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
To keep things in perspective, IIRC you did quite a bit of "voluntary" work that many people won't do arbitrarily, such as the IMS upgrade,starter, & alternator, to add up to that $6,000.
well when the clutch starts to go you have to deal with it sooner than later or you'll chew up the flywheel. Fixing the clutch requires you to take a hard look at swapping the IMS for the aftermarket unit from LNE. Now you're looking at $2K, closer to $3K if you have to play it safe and replace the flywheel. It adds up..

The 02 sensors were another quick fix that turned into a bigger tab than anticipated. Simply swapping the faulty one didn't end CEL's. Once I replaced the other three...no more CEL's. Too bad that ran $600, $700 if you need a mechanic with a lift to do it for you.

The parts for these cars are not cheap. Using independent mechanics helps but sometimes they mark up the parts or refuse to install anything that isn't OEM.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote