Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #1

roof won't lower

Hi all,

I've just taken my '98 Boxster out of the garage from winter storage and the roof won't lower. When I open the handle, the windows lower, but then when i try and operate the roof - nothing...

I've checked the fuse which is ok, handbrake light is on etc.. anybody had this? or got any ideas?

many thanks in advance

mike

mikesoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:47 AM   #2

Talking

Any noise from the roof motor or gears?

Is the handle fully released.?

Does the dash switch feel OK when you push it?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #3

I had the same problem mid summer last year, and it turned out to be the relay which afterwards I found out was a common problem according to my dealer.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:47 AM   #4

haha right now my 98 boxster is having the EXACT same problem
its at the dealer right now, should be getting it back tomo then i iwll tell you wat the problem is
aKiNa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:44 AM   #5

yup it was some sort of relay..but its not a simple one
it was under warranty so i don't know about the price but the charged 600 and something AUS dollars plus 150 in labour..

part no is 986 618 111 02
aKiNa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:21 AM   #6

All - thanks very much for the replies - looks like a trip to the dealer .....
Old 04-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #7

That sounds a bit high in price. There are only two relay boxes and both are very easily accessed within seconds. Also, there is only one relay in the convertible top system which is a special relay that must be purchased through Porsche, but only costs about 25.00 USD. This is the one I bought and installed myself last summer.I looked at the electrical schematic and this is the only relay in the system. The is a control module also, but even it only costs 75.00 to replace.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #8

Exclamation Same problem for me.

The same thing just happened to me today. I put the top up at noon and everything worked fine. Went to lower it at 5 pm for the drive home and nothing would happen. All fuses OK, did all of the logical things and still nothing.
Can anyone tell me where the relay for this is located and if it is very difficult to replace. 2000 Boxster S

Thanks for your help.

Larry
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #9

Investigated further myself and got it working !!!

The release handle anchor socket in the windshield has two microswitches, the first lowers the windows an inch and the second sends power to the relay to signal that the handle is open and that power can be sent to the motor to lower the roof.

If you pop out the two red lenses either side of the handle you gain access to two T25 star screws. Remove them and the socket/interior light assembly drops down. I disconnected the pin connector to the microswitches, cleaned the pins and the sockets and everything is working fine. real piece of luck because the only reason I had another go is because the relay unit which i thought was faulty is on 3 months delay from germany !!