Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
mts

Follow up on RUF in Texas

About a week ago I posted about how much difficulty I had reaching RUF in Dallas and that they wouldn't return phonecalls, etc. A few people indicated they had similar issues and I should contact RUF in Germany to let them know what happened. I did and sort of surprisingly (to me) RUF Germany got back with me almost immediately.

Evidently I wasn't the only one having issues as I got this note from RUF Germany today:

"We do not have a dealership in Dallas anymore but they now have one in Michigan.

Address is
Ruf Auto US
21620 Melrose Avenue
South Field, Michigan 48075

248-304-9091
Mr. Melville is contact"

Just thought I would pass the info along in case anyone else had tried unsuccessfully to get in touch with the North America group.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
About a week ago I posted about how much difficulty I had reaching RUF in Dallas and that they wouldn't return phonecalls, etc. A few people indicated they had similar issues and I should contact RUF in Germany to let them know what happened. I did and sort of surprisingly (to me) RUF Germany got back with me almost immediately.

Evidently I wasn't the only one having issues as I got this note from RUF Germany today:

"We do not have a dealership in Dallas anymore but they now have one in Michigan.

Address is
Ruf Auto US
21620 Melrose Avenue
South Field, Michigan 48075

248-304-9091
Mr. Melville is contact"

Just thought I would pass the info along in case anyone else had tried unsuccessfully to get in touch with the North America group.
Good job. I told you that RUF would respond. Hopefully, their new affiliate will better represent the brand here in the US.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

Ruf Usa

Check out the video on the new RUF USA website found here:

http://www.rufauto.us/ruf/
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #4

Its too bad you had a negative experience.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with the RUF now RAC Performance. They have gone above and beyond what is expected in standing behind their product and work with me.

There are two sides to every story and I know that there were issues with the "motherland" and their inflexibility to adapt to changing market conditions and competition (i.e. pricing) in the US.

For example why spend $40k on a 986 3.4 RUF conversion when Jake Raby can do the same for almost half the price. The RUF price was dictated by the home office in Germany not by RUF-Dallas. I feel pretty safe in saying that there weren't too many engine conversions happening, nor was there very much RUF product being sold at the outrageous prices that they have to charge. The home office's attitude is "the RUF customer can afford it and will pay for it".

Well I'm not that customer and that kind of attitude doesn't work well with me.

I understand why RAC dropped their affiliation with RUF GMBH and RAC will continue to receive my business.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u
Its too bad you had a negative experience.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with the RUF now RAC Performance. They have gone above and beyond what is expected in standing behind their product and work with me.

There are two sides to every story and I know that there were issues with the "motherland" and their inflexibility to adapt to changing market conditions and competition (i.e. pricing) in the US.

For example why spend $40k on a 986 3.4 RUF conversion when Jake Raby can do the same for almost half the price. The RUF price was dictated by the home office in Germany not by RUF-Dallas. I feel pretty safe in saying that there weren't too many engine conversions happening, nor was there very much RUF product being sold at the outrageous prices that they have to charge. The home office's attitude is "the RUF customer can afford it and will pay for it".

Well I'm not that customer and that kind of attitude doesn't work well with me.

I understand why RAC dropped their affiliation with RUF GMBH and RAC will continue to receive my business.

My understanding from some others that have worked with them is they do great work. Do you know why they won't answer the phone and very inconsistently respond to voicemails and emails? It's clearly not just my issue, do a search on Rennlist about them and you'll find at least 50 posts from others about the same thing......even some from people that shipped them their cars for work and couldn't reach them for days/weeks. That's sort of scary.

I'm just curious more than anything. I work with a lot of different businesses through my job and I've never really come across anything like this.....at least not a business that was in business very long. Is it that expensive to hire a receptionist these days? It is sort of testament to how good their work is that they are still around with these kind of business practices.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote