986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Vandalized... :( (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/24964-vandalized.html)

PlayersExpress 05-31-2010 01:06 AM

Vandalized... :(

Its 4am, I just got home from my buddy's who lives 6 houses down from me. Somewhere between 2-3am my car was vandalized in his driveway.

To put short, my entire sound system was destroyed, the radio stolen, my ipod, watch, all stolen, my top was sliced like 3 or 4 times, every single panel and seat in the car was slashed and stabbed...... the sound system was insured for $3500 by itself... I'm guessing all the damage in total to be in the neighborhood of $7-10k

$7,000-$10,000 Dollars, I can't begin to believe it. Im glad I have a Zero dollar deductible, but we don't have rental on the car.

To make matters worse/better, Im due to leave for New Orleans for a week from the 6th-13th (road trip with my buddies) I can't wait to go now, but all the repairs and hassle of everything........

I will post pictures later today after I try and get some sleep. This still feels like a bad dream. It's ok if I cry, right? :( :( :(

MotoFanatic 05-31-2010 02:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your vandalism. You're right though, at least you have a zero deductible. You should try and get it repaired during your trip. That way you don't have to worry about renting a car (or maybe you still do as I don't know your situation).

It always hurts more when it first happens but once time passes and you start coming up with a plan for the repair, you will feel better. Unfortunately, still a pain and an inconvenience.

Good luck with the repair and hope you find out who did it (probably not though).

-Moto

eightsandaces 05-31-2010 07:53 AM

All seats slashed, just curious, do you have any ongoing issues with anyone? The seats sounds unnecessarily harsh for a stereo rip job, too bad you didn't catch them, likely teens or twenties, stuff might turn up at the local pawn shop where you can trace it back, long shot but if there is one near you...

Bellster 05-31-2010 08:16 AM

Time heals all wounds, hope you get it all sorded out and happy once a good job has been done best wishes. :mad: Know this won't make you feel better but I was upset the other day because sum ahole had spat on the back of mine and that washes off.......... :barf:

Tranlm 05-31-2010 08:59 AM

My condolences to you and your car.... You should be careful. There's always a chance they might come back for round 2.

Topless 05-31-2010 11:03 AM

Something doesn't pass the sniff test here...

rick3000 05-31-2010 11:55 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about your car, it's awful that these kinds of things happen. I hope you get it all fixed and it ends up being better than before.
Have you filed a police report?

PlayersExpress 05-31-2010 12:53 PM

Here are the pictures.... :( It took me all morning to bring myself to go out into the garage after getting off the phone with my insurance.

The police report was filed around 2:30 am when I found the car, and I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase Topless, I love my car just as much as anyone else, especially after dropping mega $$$ on putting in a new sound system and planning to drop a new engine into the car over the winter. I feel like a mini Jayy.

Oh, and in the seat pictures it is hard to tell but there are cuts going from the top of the headrest down besides the stabs, my camera couldnt pick them up in the lighting all too well.

Tranlm 05-31-2010 01:13 PM

I don't think your pictures uploaded. I don't see anything. Hopefully, things go smoothly with the insurance and repair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Here are the pictures.... :( It took me all morning to bring myself to go out into the garage after getting off the phone with my insurance.

The police report was filed around 2:30 am when I found the car, and I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase Topless, I love my car just as much as anyone else, especially after dropping mega $$$ on putting in a new sound system and planning to drop a new engine into the car over the winter. I feel like a mini Jayy.

Oh, and in the seat pictures it is hard to tell but there are cuts going from the top of the headrest down besides the stabs, my camera couldnt pick them up in the lighting all too well.

PlayersExpress 05-31-2010 01:18 PM

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0042.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0055.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0054.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0053.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0052.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0051.jpg

PlayersExpress 05-31-2010 01:21 PM

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0050.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0049.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0048.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0047.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0046.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0045.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0044.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMAG0043.jpg

PlayersExpress 05-31-2010 01:24 PM

Sorry, the pics are now up.... my wireless has been hit or miss for every page all day.

Now I'm off to work. Happy Memorial Day everyone.

extanker 05-31-2010 01:31 PM

i think what some are saying is a thief tries to remove and sell some thing . damaging the wiring or an unpopular radio are no nos. one cut is all thats needed to get into the car....why waist time cutting,slashing etc.....get the goods quick and leave ...ya dont hang around ...this seems like payback

boxster6354 05-31-2010 01:33 PM

Looking at your photos it does not appear that the cuts in your top were to gain access, was your car not locked?

Seems a little strange that your drivers window was not broken to gain access for them to steal your stereo......

Good luck but as was posted earlier, something just does not seem right here, maybe ex-girlfriend or someone else's girlfriend :D

Either way hope it gets resolved.

rick3000 05-31-2010 01:35 PM

I agree, it looks like someone tried to mask the vandalization as a theft, or was on a ridiculous amount of drugs.

Tranlm 05-31-2010 01:43 PM

:eek:

:barf:

That literally looks like a hate crime! I can't begin to explain the sorrow I feel... You might want to start thinking of suspects that you know of though. That really does look like someone had it out for you.

WAAAAYYYY too much was done for it to have been random. Hope you find the person.

cworth12001 05-31-2010 02:09 PM

****************ers...cry on bro. I get depressed at a CEL. This is a travesty, like it was personal

edbelton 05-31-2010 02:56 PM

You've better get life insurance :)
jokes aside, sad, very sad.

23109VC 05-31-2010 03:05 PM

that's not a theft.

that is one of two things:

1) flat out vandalism of a very personal nature. YOU were a direct target of payback. Either someone you know that hates you, the boyfriend of some girl you are now sleeping with, or something similar...

2) insurance fraud. People with cars that have issues, and they want them all fixed up or totalled, will intentionally trash their own car then play it off as vandalism.

I'm not accusing you of fraud - I'm just saying that it seems like one of the two.

Insurance companies are very leery of fraud these days - and these kinds of incidents are often fraud masked as vandalism - I only say that so you are prepared for possible tough questions by the insurance company.

honestly - your car is likely totalled. all that leather to be fixed and replaced... on a car that is 10+ years old... odds are they will total it out and pay you off.

I am very sorry. My bro in law is black, bought a brand new Vette, and within a month of owing it, he came out to his g/f's parking lot to find swastikas scratched into almost every panel.... He was UPSET to say the least. while this isn't a hate crime - someone hates you a LOT...

i'd at the least be worried about who it was and why they did it.

Good luck with the insurance/repairs or finding a new boxster...

If you don't know who did it - and can't provide any reasonable clue as to who did it - while this may very well be an unusual random crime - be prepared for a skeptical insurance company.

Viper5 05-31-2010 05:14 PM

That is ****************ed up. Makes me kinda sad that people do stuff like that.

jhandy 05-31-2010 05:15 PM

i am assuming you are in high school?

someone you know is jealous that you are driving a porsche. you know the person, i would bet on it.

kerplunk 05-31-2010 05:48 PM

Wow, that is devastating to look at. I'm sorry that happened to your car. As everyone else has mentioned, this without a doubt looks to be a personal attack versus a random thievery attempt. Just be sure to watch your back.

A lot of people appreciate Porsche, but there are some who are just jealous for some reason. When I first got my Boxster, I was at a gas station at about 11 PM in North Dakota (where I used to live). These group of high school kids drive by yelling "NICE PORSCHE F-GGOT!"

It's too bad that people like that exist, but it's the world we live in. Good luck with everything!

PlayersExpress 05-31-2010 11:56 PM

Sorry about the high school sticker in the window, its a memento from my senior year. Im a junior in college right now, but I had the car since I was 16, and had the only Porsche in my schools parking lot that was filled with Bimmers, Mercs, Mustangs, and Cameros.

The more I think about it, it was a personal attack, I was coming back from White Castles with some friends, the other guys were in a mini van behind us. We all noticed a white Sebering pull a U turn and follow us into the neighborhood and turned the other way down the block, stopping only 2 houses down. It was odd now that I think about it but there are other 20 somethings that lived down that way so I didnt think anything of it at the time. (8 people can vouch for that car doing that).

As me and my friend Shawn pulled into his drive way it was pouring rain so I didnt stop and lock the car with the key (Both of my remote heads dont work, one is missing the chip, the other isnt coded to the car.) at 12am.

I came out at 2am to leave, it had stopped raining about 30 minutes earlier and I found the car with both doors slightly ajar and my cabin light on.

The only problem I have is thinking about who would do that to me. I haven't had any problems with anyone for over 2 years, I left all the high school drama behind as a rational adult should. I've been single and haven't dated in 2 years since my ex of 3 years broke my heart and the best thing about that is she lives 36 miles away on the other side of Chicago.

I know that everyone who mentions shady motives is just bringing up the possibilities, but as I've said before I love my car. I just put in a new sound system , its my dream car, and I've been planning on dropping a new engine, rims, suspension, etc into the car this winter. I keep reinforcing that I love my car as much as the next guy on these forums, a true enthusiast, because every time I keep hearing of what some people do to defraud the system it is very perturbing to me. Sometimes you just feel something not directed or intended to be malicious towards you to offend you, you know what I mean?

Back to the car, in the morning I'm going to take her to Rizza Porsche which thankfully is only 2 miles from me to get an estimate just for the interior and not the sound system which is covered under a rider. Then State Farm is sending out an adjuster to view the car here on Thursday.

I'm going to be devastated if they decided to total the car. :( Hopefully not. I'd honestly like to be buried in my car 60 or 70 years from now. :o

eightsandaces 06-01-2010 02:10 AM

PE, I know it feels like crap, you're young, you will have more sports cars. This lad in HS always wanted to race. I tried to tell him repeatedly that road & track had already evaluated the MG/Fiat race, it wasn't even close. Twin overhead cams against what amounted to a tractor engine. Not to mention, back when it mattered with points and timing, I practiced tuned that car pretty much monthly to enable myself to do non supervised tune ups at work, needless to say, the car was always on point.

Somewhere in my senior year he tried to pass me on a two lane with double yellows as we left the school, we ended up racing and he lost horrendously. About two weeks later, I came out from a movie date to find my wipers bent into pretzels and every panel on the vehicle keyed. I could never prove he did it but of course he did. At the time it was equally devastating to your own event. There are more Boxsters, especially easy to get a deal on a tiptronic, if it's totaled, move on and find your next joyride

The only good thing was the end of the year when he blindside sucker punched me for telling everyone he drove like my nana. After he scratched my car, I made it clear he lost the race. When he tagged me at the locker I didn't go down, I'm a southpaw, when I turned and hit him the punch was clean. his eye immediately started swelling, looking back, that was worth another paint job. I never fought much in HS but I won that one.

Mike_Yi 06-01-2010 08:27 AM

That looks like somebody has a problem with you. The effort that went into damaging the door panels alone makes me think somebody wanted to destroy *YOUR* car.

rick3000 06-01-2010 08:29 AM

I can't tell from your post, but are you going to try and find the person who did it?

cartagena 06-01-2010 09:20 AM

Clearly this was done by change we can believe in.

PlayersExpress 06-01-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
I can't tell from your post, but are you going to try and find the person who did it?

Yes, I am trying to find out who did it. I've been asking around to see if anyone has heard anything. None of the neighbors saw or heard anything, it happened between 12am-2am, more likely between 1:30am-2am when it stopped raining.

I highly doubt that I will ever find out who did it, but maybe sooner or later someone will tell me just to get under my skin but there would be no proof they did it.

The police weren't able to lift any fingerprints off the car, and really the only trace would be if my Ipod, watch, or radio ever turned up because I submitted the serial numbers to the police.

It still boggles my mind who would do something like that to me, yes I know I am young, but I have intentionally avoiding drama and problems for the last couple years. My only guess would be one of a half dozen guys who I beat up in high school when they started a fight (I hold a black belt in Combat Karate). It is summer and everyone away at college has been back home for the last couple weeks. Other than that, I'm still clueless.

r9i8c7k 06-01-2010 11:02 AM

Just awful....good luck with your insurance company....

cartagena 06-01-2010 11:21 AM

This is the best quote ever on 986:

......It still boggles my mind who would do something like that to me......My only guess would be one of a half dozen guys who I beat up in high school.....

PlayersExpress 06-01-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartagena
This is the best quote ever on 986:

......It still boggles my mind who would do something like that to me......My only guess would be one of a half dozen guys who I beat up in high school.....

Agreed, but out of context that way... lol you cut out the key words that change the meaning of the phrase :D

cartagena 06-01-2010 02:07 PM

I am not sure my paraphrasing changed the meaning that much.

I would agree with the other posters though that someone is probably a little pissed off at you. Doing that much damage would have been time consuming and I would imagine a radio thief wants to get away as soon as possible. Have you been playing the radio too loud in the area? Do you have a X-girlfriend who may have just rented this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYpeKbHKVbU

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Agreed, but out of context that way... lol you cut out the key words that change the meaning of the phrase :D

ekam 06-01-2010 02:56 PM

Someone definitely doesn't like you. My previous car was broken into before as well and they just took the stuff and go.

I don't see how this is not a write-off from the insurance's point of view. I don't want to know how much each of those panels cost, plus seats and the roof. Although you might be able to find the complete interior/top off a boxster with blown engine and spend a lot of time swapping them.

ChrisZang 06-01-2010 03:33 PM

you didn't look at the obvious: It was Obama - I mean he's getting blamed for everything else on this board, so it must have been him :D

cartagena 06-01-2010 03:36 PM

I already blamed Obama in post #27. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
you didn't look at the obvious: It was Obama - I mean he's getting blamed for everything else on this board, so it must have been him :D

extanker 06-01-2010 03:36 PM

B.P. TOYODA did it...sue um everyone else is

kavlono 06-01-2010 07:36 PM

why did;t the alarm go off?

Topless 06-01-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavlono
why did;t the alarm go off?

Either really clever drug crazed vandals or... they had a key.

rick3000 06-01-2010 08:43 PM

He said his key head does not work and since it was raining so he didn't stop and lock it manually. I'm curious can the insurance company refuse to pay or something if you tell them it was unlocked?

PlayersExpress 06-01-2010 09:32 PM

The alarm didnt go off because I never locked the car, rick was right if you go back I say it was pouring out... the car was up in the driveway and the key I had did not have the remote chip.