986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Convertible Top Problem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/24962-convertible-top-problem.html)

joshua6060 05-30-2010 04:12 PM

Convertible Top Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7 Tiptronic, with 91,000 miles on it and it still drives GREAT. Over the past 4 months I have had an issue with my convertible top, please see the inserted picture as I don't know exactly how to describe it other than my top seems to be separating somehow, there is a very small opening where I can see right thru it and I have no idea whats causing this or how to even begin to fix it, or if fixing it is even possible. The top is actually in great shape, and I don't suspect that I would need to put on a new top. I just have this opening that is spreading, seems to open more and more each time I drive with the top down then put it back up, I notice a little more "space" or "opening".

Please any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

ppbon 05-30-2010 06:45 PM

Looks like the anchor on the cable is broken.
The edge of the soft top is actually a steel-braided cable that has an eyelet on the bottom which anchors to the frame, keeping the cable taught.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

97 Boxster 05-30-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppbon
Looks like the anchor on the cable is broken.
The edge of the soft top is actually a steel-braided cable that has an eyelet on the bottom which anchors to the frame, keeping the cable taught.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Can the cables you mentioned be tightened? If so where do you tighten them and how much?

joshua6060 05-31-2010 04:57 AM

Where do I locate this anchor? The top seems tight everywhere else.

Tranlm 05-31-2010 08:39 AM

I think what Pedro is referring to is the ball joint cable that you plug from the top to the car. When you open the top up in service position, you should see a small metal cable about 8 or 10" long on each side of the car. This cable keeps the top tight on your car. I don't think it's adjustable as its just a metal cable with connectors on each end.

Coincidentally, I forgot to snap the cables back on the last time I worked on my car. Paid for it dearly when it rained, as a lot of water got into my car. :mad: Luckily I caught it right afterward and cleaned it up. Cautionary tale to all! Be sure you snap those cables back on!

ppbon 05-31-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua6060
Where do I locate this anchor? The top seems tight everywhere else.

Right on the frame of the soft top, towards the pivot point.
Open the soft top about 18 inches and follow the cable down.
You should see where it snapped.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

schoir 05-31-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
Can the cables you mentioned be tightened? If so where do you tighten them and how much?

The cables are called "tension ropes" by Porsche, and there is an adjustment possible. You can turn the 14mm bolt that sits vertically, and just inboard of the lowest part of each tension rope CCW, and that will in effect "lower" the steel ball that it attaches to, and thus increase the downward pull on the rear main bow.

Regards, Maurice.

joshua6060 06-05-2010 08:00 AM

I Think I have found the problem, not sure, but I think this is it, can anyone tell me if a screw should be here and is somehow missing and if so, what size/type of screw goes in here?

schoir 06-05-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua6060
I Think I have found the problem, not sure, but I think this is it, can anyone tell me if a screw should be here and is somehow missing and if so, what size/type of screw goes in here?

There is definitely a screw missing from that location. It's a small Torx head screw, and its function is to hold one end of the cable fixed at the base of the B-pillar, with the other end of the cable being anchored on the shoulder plate on that side.

That missing screw would cause the "opening getting larger and larger", so replacing the screw will fix it.

Here is a link that shows the particular screw (T20 torx) and gives you a cautionary warning about not stripping the aluminum (or magnesium?) threads that it goes into:
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy

Look at the text in paragraph 6 in that DIY, and click on the photo to blow it up.

Regards, Maurice.

BentMick 03-03-2011 05:42 AM

Similar Cable Problem

I have a 1999 Boxster with the similar side cable slack. However, the rear eyelet and bolt are in place. There is still a loose fit above the passenger side window. It doesn't leak water but is noisy and loose. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
BentMick

Bryan topping 08-19-2012 12:58 PM

Resurrecting an old thread here. What is the procedure to adjust the tension rope setting?
I replaced my top & backed the adjusters all the way out to get the top to close, now I want to set the correct tension.