Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Repainting the bumper

'03 Boxster, Arctic Silver.

There was a small (unnoticeable) dent on the front bumper. I took it to a local body shop and had them get the dent out and repaint the entire bumper. A few days later, they called me and told me it was ready. As soon as I saw it, I immediately noticed it didn't look right and commented on it. They said it was just the way the sun was glaring on it.

I have driven it for a week and I am 100% unhappy with how it turned out, and I think that it looks HORRIBLE. I called them and politely expressed my displeasure and they said they would absolutely try to make it right for me and fix it. So I am going to bring it in on Tuesday (after the Memorial Day weekend).

My question to you guys... what should I do if they can't match the color? This car is over 7 years old and the original paint has obviously aged. Is it impossible to match this color, or am I just using the wrong place? Would a high-end body shop be able to match the color perfectly?

Here are two pictures so you can cringe with me:

Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #2

variances

If I recall correctly, there are at least 3 variances for the Arctic Silver. It does not appear as if they are even close.

Does the shop mix its own paint?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #3

On the receipt (for "parts" not labor), it just says:

PaintMaterials:
Qty: 2.5
Sale: $24.00
Extended: $60.00

So the paint cost $60.00+tax... not sure if that helps determine what kind of paint was used. I'm not sure how much paint costs. I called a body shop that the local Porsche dealership recommends and they said their paint is imported directly from Germany... so I don't know.

Anymore information on the 3 variances of Arctic Silver paint would be helpful too. If they can't fix it, I'm going to take it to the Porsche-recommended body shop.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

Interesting article here: http://www.autobodysupply.net/Articles.asp?ID=140

Apparently painting plastic (like your bumper) presents special challenges, but a reasonably diligent professional could have come a lot closer to matching the color than your painter.

You may need to take the car to a shop that is accustomed to dealing with auto enthusiasts and our notoriously high standards.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

A couple things:

1. I used to work in my uncle's paint store for 4 years, so I know that it can be tough matching colors and how what applying it to (plastic versus metal) effects things... but really a primer should take care of most of that, you know? That's it's job. I'm sure it' snot much different for automobiles.

2. The place I got this body work done at is a place that only works on BMWs and Porsches... so that's why I thought I could trust them.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #6

Garage
I had bumper, rear deck lid and skirts painted at a local shop that does not specialize in high end cars and it being a 2000 Boxster they were able to match it spot on.

As was said before there are about three variations of the paint color, but even taking that into account they can spray a test piece of material and let it dry to see how it matches prior to painting the whole bumper.

If they could not match or mix paint right the first time I would try to get a refund and go elsewhere, any paint shop that is worth a thing can match up paint regardless if it is years old.

Good luck
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk
'03 Boxster, Arctic Silver.

There was a small (unnoticeable) dent on the front bumper. I took it to a local body shop and had them get the dent out and repaint the entire bumper. A few days later, they called me and told me it was ready. As soon as I saw it, I immediately noticed it didn't look right and commented on it. They said it was just the way the sun was glaring on it.

I have driven it for a week and I am 100% unhappy with how it turned out, and I think that it looks HORRIBLE. I called them and politely expressed my displeasure and they said they would absolutely try to make it right for me and fix it. So I am going to bring it in on Tuesday (after the Memorial Day weekend).

My question to you guys... what should I do if they can't match the color? This car is over 7 years old and the original paint has obviously aged. Is it impossible to match this color, or am I just using the wrong place? Would a high-end body shop be able to match the color perfectly?

Here are two pictures so you can cringe with me:

Wanna986 is correct. They used the wrong color code variant.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
kpm

I currently manage an automotive paint store and can tell you that 92U in BASF Diamont has 6 alternates.

The standard formula matches my 01 Boxster dead on. I'm interested to know what paint line they used.

And make them fix it N/C !!

p.s. I love those wheels !!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm
I currently manage an automotive paint store and can tell you that 92U in BASF Diamont has 6 alternates.

The standard formula matches my 01 Boxster dead on. I'm interested to know what paint line they used.

And make them fix it N/C !!

p.s. I love those wheels !!
Is there any way to know for sure what version your car has? I have a 2000 and the sticker in the hood says 92U X1.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #10

Well, I have a 2003. I'm really confused about what I should do right now, because when it's not sunny out, the color looks dead on... but in the sun or at night under street lights it looks completely wrong... and it's not because the sun is hitting the bumper and not the hood.

If you like those wheels, you can get the 17-inch version here:
http://shop.wheelsrims.net/porsche-boxster-wheels_rims.html

I have 16-inch.

Last edited by kerplunk; 05-29-2010 at 03:16 PM.
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk
Well, I have a 2003. I'm really confused about what I should do right now, because when it's not sunny out, the color looks dead on... but in the sun or at night under street lights it looks completely wrong... and it's not because the sun is hitting the bumper and not the hood.
Don't know what to tell you. You're making these observations because the match is wrong. Clearly, when it's right, it's right and it's all good.

It seems they are willing to try again and that, at least, is good news. Have them do a few spray-out cards to show you before they go at the bumper again. That way, they save labor and you can get a preview in the hopes of averting another disappointment.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #12

Here are two more pictures. It doesn't look so bad here... I'm having a hard time telling the difference now. Is it all in my head?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
As mentioned there are different versions of the same paint code. This goes for all cars. Never is one batch the same as the other.

When I had my lower moldings of my Range Rover painted. I had the shop make sample cards of every variance of the same color and I got to pick the one that matches my car dead on.

Now, if you did go to a shop that paints porsches all the time they probably do/should have paint samples (some on plastic some on metal as plastic and metal reflect light differently) to show you of the same paint code.

It's definitely off, don't con yourself into thinking its right because clearly by your pictures its not.

Good Luck!
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #14
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdefino
Is there any way to know for sure what version your car has? I have a 2000 and the sticker in the hood says 92U X1.
The paint store (or body shop) should have what's called an "alternate deck". This will show the different variances in each color.

The shop should then take all the alternates out to the car (which should be clean) and check them under natural sunlight or an artificial day light.

Never let them check your color under a flourescent light...it will be wrong everytime.

In the case of kerplunk his car is darker and yellower than what the bumper is.

Without seeing the car in person, it looks to me like the formula they mixed had either a smaller flake and / or too much white.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by kpm; 05-31-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #15

Thanks again, guys! I'm going to get this fixed no matter what it takes.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #16

Pop your hood and look at the white sticker containing all the cars info from the factory. There is a line item for paint / interior colors and beside it lies the code.

They goofed and did not spray your bumper with the correct artic silver variant. Alot of Porsche colors have multiple codes...Don't have a clue why, because it can cause exactly what you just went through...

Just take it back to the company and if they are a reputable business, they should take care of the problem. If they specialize in P cars, they will know what's up.

See this link...

http://www.piperboxster.com/paintcode.htm

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12

Last edited by jwade; 05-31-2010 at 09:52 AM.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #17

I don't see that sticker anywhere. Hmmmmmm... maybe that's why they messed up the color? Is there any other way to see that information?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this info: http://www.986online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Search+XPage_optioncodes.html

Last edited by kerplunk; 05-31-2010 at 11:19 AM.
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #18

It says L92U X1.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I had my bodyshop paint my skirts arctic silver to match my 01 Boxster. The paint code was 92U. They did a perfect match, and didn't even have my car in for a comparison. I just gave them the skirts and one of my painted bumperettes, and they matched the color to my bumperette.

Looks perfect. If you don't have painted bumperettes, take off your rear spoiler's painted lid, and have them match it to that.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #20
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I just gave them the skirts and one of my painted bumperettes, and they matched the color to my bumperette.
I have a 01 S and I really want to paint the bumperettes. How hard are they to take off ?

I see the allen head bolt underneath and I'd assume it's metric so I'll have to get a set.